Author Topic: Can I See NO Pop-Ups From Avast if I Buy the Suite?  (Read 13677 times)

NoelC

Can I See NO Pop-Ups From Avast if I Buy the Suite?
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
I seriously only need what the Avast! free version provides.  I don't want "Internet Security", I just want the anti-malware scanning of files going to/from the file system primarily.  In the recent past I had paid for Internet Security for years but found I just deconfigured most of it to suit my needs.

But the Avast free edition pops up ads (for the paid version) quite often.  They're not hard to ignore, but somewhat annoying.  That's of course their purpose; I understand completely.

I'm willing to pay for good software that serves a good function and to reduce annoyance, and I still believe Avast! is actually the best anti-malware solution.  So...

If the paid version can be set to pop up NOTHING, I will go ahead and buy again. 

Can someone please confirm whether it's possible to deconfigure ALL Avast! pop-ups in the paid version?

Thanks.

-Noel

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Can I See NO Pop-Ups From Avast if I Buy the Suite?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
You can do that in the free version but you wouldn't get any malware notification popups..

If you were to do that, just enable silent/gaming mode.

At the moment there's a bug where ads are showing instead of the virus update notifications...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

NoelC

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
Just to be clear, I don't mind pop-ups letting me know definitions have been updated, but I would want the ability to see no others, and I'd rather not invoke "gaming" mode.

Sounds like I wouldn't gain relief from the regular "Christmas special" et. al. pop-ups if I were to buy Avast Pro.  Pity.

-Noel

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
Set all pop=up duration to as low as two seconds.
Either that or enable the silent/gaming mode.
This is a constant in each version free or paid.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

flimawpi2014

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
I seriously only need what the Avast! free version provides.  I don't want "Internet Security", I just want the anti-malware scanning of files going to/from the file system primarily.  In the recent past I had paid for Internet Security for years but found I just deconfigured most of it to suit my needs.

But the Avast free edition pops up ads (for the paid version) quite often.  They're not hard to ignore, but somewhat annoying.  That's of course their purpose; I understand completely.

I'm willing to pay for good software that serves a good function and to reduce annoyance, and I still believe Avast! is actually the best anti-malware solution.  So...

If the paid version can be set to pop up NOTHING, I will go ahead and buy again. 

Can someone please confirm whether it's possible to deconfigure ALL Avast! pop-ups in the paid version?

Thanks.

-Noel

Hi,

It´s NOT possible to deconfigure ALL Avast! pop-ups, EVEN IN THE PAID VERSION.

You will get annoying ads on you home screen and popups no matter what.

I am very disappointed with avast.

I paid for Avast Internet Security and now i´m having to put up with this.

I´ve tried everything, but i just can´t get rid of the ads.

Unchecking boxes in the settings or being careful during the setup wont make any difference.

A fews days ago I discussed this in this forum. You should check it out in the link below.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142758.0

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:52:27 PM by flimawpi2014 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:01 PM »
@ flimawpi2014 (and NoelC)

In my Reply #23 of that topic (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142758.msg1035469#msg1035469) I suggested why you were getting those, that it isn't normal procedure and what to do to kill it if you want to go that far.

We are however, still waiting for this intermittent bug to be finally squashed. For me it is a little over 50/50 in getting the correct auto update notification and not the screwed up one. So for now I have simply disabled the auto update notification on this XP Pro system (my main system) and left it enabled on my win7 netbook, to monitor its actions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

flimawpi2014

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »
@ flimawpi2014 (and NoelC)

In my Reply #23 of that topic (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142758.msg1035469#msg1035469) I suggested why you were getting those, that it isn't normal procedure and what to do to kill it if you want to go that far.

We are however, still waiting for this intermittent bug to be finally squashed. For me it is a little over 50/50 in getting the correct auto update notification and not the screwed up one. So for now I have simply disabled the auto update notification on this XP Pro system (my main system) and left it enabled on my win7 netbook, to monitor its actions.

DavidR,

Yes, I remember your suggestion.

I followed it, but nothing changed it.

And, honestly, as a paying user, I don´t want to lose the autoupdate notification or any other important notifications.
And I also don´t have alternative ways to monitor the actions on my system.
But this is me. It doesnt necessarily apply to the OP.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:40:47 PM by flimawpi2014 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
<snip quote>
DavidR,

Yes, I remember your suggestion.

1. I followed it, but nothing changed it.

2. And, honestly, as a paying user, I don´t want to lose the autoupdate notification or any other important notifications.
And I also don´t have alternative ways to monitor the actions on my system.
But this is me. It doesnt necessarily apply to the OP.

1. well since I disabled the auto update notifications, I haven't had a single popup; whilst that was only changed last night, it has worked so far. On my win7 netbook I left enabled (for testing purposes) and I have received popups other than the update notification.

2. I completely agree, it is which is the lessor of two evils getting the popups or being notified of the auto updates. With the new streaming updates in avast 9.0 the reliance on the regular VPS updates is not so critical. So in that case would be the update notification. The other notifications would be unaffected by disabling the auto update notification popups.

Obviously the bug being squashed is what everyone wants.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NoelC

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 02:33:41 AM »
I'm of a mind with flimawpi2014.  I'd like to see serious information, not sales pop-ups, and I'd be willing to pay for that.  I'd be a bit miffed if I got sales ads with the paid version.

Just to be clear... 

IF this current bug is fixed, will only those using the paid version be relieved from seeing sales ads?

Meanwhile I'll deconfigure the auto-update notifications as DavidR has suggested - thank you.

-Noel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
You're welcome.

As an avast user like yourself, I can't speculate as to what will happen once this bug finally gets squashed. But I would like to hope that would be the case, ads only on the free version. But for me the bigger problem is the duration settings on these ads/tips popups doesn't comply with the duration settings.

olddog

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
...I can't speculate as to what will happen once this bug finally gets squashed.

This "bug" as you call it has been in place now for a number of versions and Avast have been aware of it for quite a long time, including right through the last beta.

On the one hand, it doesn't really affect the ability of the software to do it's core task, and if it had only appeared in one version or release would have been of minor importance.

But because it has dragged on for so long, it has assumed much greater significance. One has only to look at the number of posts it keeps turning up in. 

If it is just a "bug" then one has to wonder why it has taken so long without a resolution of the issue.  Is it in fact a structural design shortcoming that would require a significant amount of recoding to resolve, and hence is being put on the back burner?

Whatever the actual cause it is a quality control issue that now reflects badly on the quality of the product and its developers.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Hi,

It´s NOT possible to deconfigure ALL Avast! pop-ups, EVEN IN THE PAID VERSION.

You will get annoying ads on you home screen and popups no matter what.

I am very disappointed with avast.

I paid for Avast Internet Security and now i´m having to put up with this.

I´ve tried everything, but i just can´t get rid of the ads.

Unchecking boxes in the settings or being careful during the setup wont make any difference.

A fews days ago I discussed this in this forum. You should check it out in the link below.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142758.0

This is different to my experience.

On machines with 30-day trial of avast! Professional or AIS , I routinely enable Silent/Gaming mode (I can monitor status from 'avast! Account') and disable 'Community Features', etc.
No popups of any kind AFAIK.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

guestja

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 02:38:46 PM »
With all these posts, and people asking legitimate questions concerning the paid version, it is rather curious that someone from Avast doesn't make some kind of official statement that can others can be referred to if nothing else. Why let this continue to build?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »
I never saw any offer... What am I? Lucky?
I have update pannel enabled, just disable the voice.
The best things in life are free.

NoelC

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
Unfortunately it still puts up ad pop-ups even when the update notification is disabled.

I appreciate everyone's input, but from where I sit very little useful information has been provided here so far.  Some say there's a bug, others say that even the paid version does this, and still others suggest a fix that doesn't really work. 

No official appears to have stated anything one way or another, though even that's a bit vague...  Tech, do YOU work for Avast!?

-Noel