Author Topic: Can I See NO Pop-Ups From Avast if I Buy the Suite?  (Read 13678 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can I See NO Pop-Ups From Avast if I Buy the Suite?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
@ NoelC
You have to disable the avastUI > Settings > Update - automatic update notification popup, disabling the sound won't stop the popup, just the sound. See my post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142758.msg1035469#msg1035469.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NoelC

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
Sorry if I'm being dense, but I can find no such checkbox.

-Noel

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 04:48:33 PM »
Scroll up on that screen.
and/or
Click on "updates".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

NoelC

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »
Thanks.  I WAS being a bit dense.  The setting indeed appears to be in the Update section.

However, the setting (unchecking [ ] Show notification box after automatic update) WILL NOT STICK.  Whenever I go back into that dialog it's checked again.  So...  Sigh.   :-\   Is this something I should expect of the free version?

To say that the Avast! configuration dialogs are a nightmarish mess to navigate would be kind.  For one thing, a product with SO many settings is a VERY good example of why the new big-font lots-of-whitespace look is just wrong. 

What has gone wrong at Avast! lately?  I'm starting to wonder whether the protection afforded by this tool could be as compromised as the UI.

-Noel

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
Try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot

This may or may not fix your issue concerning a setting "sticking".
You might need to reboot more than once.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

NoelC

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that.  Is this something that's come to be expected of Avast!?  I run a tight ship here, I'm not doing stuff that should lead to the need to repair software, and I get to the bottom of anything that appears unexpected.

-Noel

NoelC

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
A "Repair" did no good whatsoever.  The setting still does not stick.

I uncheck the [ ] Show notification box after automatic update box, and next time I look it's checked again.  I notice the [ ] My computer is permanently connected to the internet setting also cannot be saved.

No reboots were requested after the Repair, and I was surprised to see that my settings were all retained, even though the Repair operation had announced it would reset all settings.

Para-Noid, I'm forced to ask:  Do you have actual experience resolving these kinds of issues with Avast! or are you just shooting suggestions from the hip?  Your attention is appreciated, please don't get me wrong, but as a 37 year software engineering veteran I can work through basic things like repair and uninstall/reinstall myself.  I was hoping for more specific help.

I have not yet gotten an answer to the question:  Is a failure to be able to save these particular settings expected with the free Avast! version?

-Noel

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
A "Repair" did no good whatsoever.  The setting still does not stick.

I uncheck the [ ] Show notification box after automatic update box, and next time I look it's checked again.  I notice the [ ] My computer is permanently connected to the internet setting also cannot be saved.

No reboots were requested after the Repair, and I was surprised to see that my settings were all retained, even though the Repair operation had announced it would reset all settings.

Para-Noid, I'm forced to ask:  Do you have actual experience resolving these kinds of issues with Avast! or are you just shooting suggestions from the hip?  Your attention is appreciated, please don't get me wrong, but as a 37 year software engineering veteran I can work through basic things like repair and uninstall/reinstall myself.  I was hoping for more specific help.

I have not yet gotten an answer to the question:  Is a failure to be able to save these particular settings expected with the free Avast! version?

-Noel

After a repair, you should reboot. I know it's not requested but you should. As far as the settings are concerned, they should save... I seem it may be a corrupt install so.. to rule that out..

'd recommend a clean install of v9.0.2011.

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

NoelC

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »
I did reboot, even though I wasn't prompted to do so.  That did not help.

Now we're talking about uninstalling the software in Safe Mode and running some mysterious Rejzors Uninstall tool from some 3rd party site!  Does anyone besides me see anything even a little bit wrong with that advice?

I think if a regular uninstall and clean with Avast's tools then reinstall fails I'm basically done with Avast! at this point, as that would indicate it's clearly become a non-viable security product.

-Noel

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
I did reboot, even though I wasn't prompted to do so.  That did not help.

Now we're talking about uninstalling the software in Safe Mode and running some mysterious Rejzors Uninstall tool from some 3rd party site!  Does anyone besides me see anything even a little bit wrong with that advice?

I think if a regular uninstall and clean with Avast's tools then reinstall fails I'm basically done with Avast! at this point, as that would indicate it's clearly become a non-viable security product.

-Noel

That uninstall tool removes leftovers that avastclear doesn't use. I wouldn't post it if it wasn't needed. It's not malware and has been used by hundreds of people over the forums...

Why not just follow it exactly step by step?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

NoelC

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
Why not?  Because with all due respect I don't know you from Adam, and I don't really care if you say hundreds of people have used it.

You're likely a well-respected contributor here, and I don't mean to insult you at all, but hundreds of people don't know any more about what's in that software than I do.  The "special tool" may very well carry its own malware payload.  I'm trying not to dig myself into a hole here.

The plain and simple fact is this:  Avast needs to work properly in its own right, without some mysterious 3rd party tweaker, or it's not a viable security product.

As it turns out, uninstalling and reinstalling Avast does NOT work.  The installation of the product stalls at "Launching executable file: AvastEmUpdate.exe /installer", which is the same place it stalled the other day when I tried to update it.  I'm not the only one to see this.  Note:

It looks like it's time to say bye bye to old friend Avast!, which - sadly - in the latter half of 2013 has gone suddenly from a viable, serious security tool to something that simply no longer works.

Thank you all for your good intentions to help.

-Noel

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
Quote from NoelC

I'm just an avast user who knows from experience the first option of last resort is a repair.
If that fails usually, not always, a clean install is the next step.
We do try to resolve issues before a repair or clean install is necessary.
Most of the time it's something simple, like a simple reboot.
Other times it involves other software on a users machine.
If that's the case we dig a lot deeper.

Since yours was an avast issue the repair was the next logical step.
Then Alikhan suggested a clean install giving proper instructions.
And since he is helping you now, I will just follow this thread to see
if there is something to be noted for my personal use.

You are in excellent hands.  8)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
If you are unwilling to accept solid advice there is little we can do for you.
Yelling is definitely not helping to fix your issue.
The "avast cleanup tool" from RejZor is completely safe and contains no malware, fact is I have used it with no ill affects.
By not following the advice given shows you really don't want your issue resolved.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
So I assume you never ran the uninstall tool. Could you check in Device Manager>View>Show Hidden devices>Non-Plug and Play Drivers if you can any drivers with a yellow triangle related to Avast...

Regarding the tool here is the Virustotal results :

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/71e3490fa2bbf3a440dc3e651eb1c32285d81b93e683630d97bd8a8669bb49fb/analysis/1387564816/

It seems that you may have quit but I'd like you try a final thing.

This time I'd like you to use the online installer instead of the offline one. In some cases it works whereas the offline doesn't. Maybe by looking at the virustotal report, you'll now use that uninstaller of Rejzors... The Rejzor uninstaller has fixed the stalling emergency update issue in the past.

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

Note : You need to be ONLINE during this install.

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_online.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

If this does NOT work for you, it would be very helpful if you could post your logs.

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\setup.log.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:51:26 PM by Alikhan »

NoelC

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
I help out on forums for products which I am expert, so I fully understand that you may be frustrated that I'm unwilling to follow your advice step by step, but you have to understand that some folks you advise do think for themselves.  I'm really trying not to be disrespectful, and I appreciate your trying to help. 

But please understand it's not you - other, expert users - who needs to step up to the plate here.

I DID run the uninstall from the control panel Programs and Features then followed with the Avast clean uninstaller in Safe mode.  The only "solid advice" I will not follow is to run some unknown piece of software from some other web site.  I mean no disrespect, but just why are we here, discussing a security product?  It is because we take security seriously.  Just think for a moment what you are advising / defending.

The Avast reinstall failed at near 100% completion, where it just hung:

I'm not the only one seeing this problem:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140730.msg1037504#msg1037504

Perhaps I'll try an install again after a time, when hopefully Avast! will have fixed this issue.  For now it's back to Windows Defender.

-Noel