Author Topic: Safe Price  (Read 66865 times)

Staffy

Re: Safe Price
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:27:06 PM »
In Firefox, I've uncheck the option for Safe Price and it works but ..... as soon as I clear my temporary internet files and cookies (through ccleaner) the settings for AOS are reset and Safe Price is re-checked!! Anyone else got the same problem?

MightyDrake

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
Just a wild guess.  But, it sounds like Avast is keeping part of that setting info in a cookie.  You might try filtering for Avast cookies in CCleaner to allow them to stay.  (I assume you can do that in CCleaner.  I've only ever used it once.)

Drake

Staffy

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »
Just a wild guess.  But, it sounds like Avast is keeping part of that setting info in a cookie.  You might try filtering for Avast cookies in CCleaner to allow them to stay.  (I assume you can do that in CCleaner.  I've only ever used it once.)

Drake

Nice one. You were right. It seems the settings are being stored in "aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com".

Beretgascon

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
I rarely contribute to forums, but on this occasion I feel compelled to respond.

Or you could ask Firefox to cease releasing updates before they let other software manufacturers have a look to see how they affect their programmes.  This must be a two way street

That is complete rubbish. I am an avast! evangelist and have always been. I promote it over and above anything else that claims to be a security product to all of my clients and I cannot count the number of Norton, MSE, McAfee, Avira, Panda etc etc etc installations I have removed or disabled in favour of Avast!. But on this occasion avast! has surreptitiously added to its browser plugin a function that hijacks a page without the user's knowledge and promotes its own advertisers' products. That, in my book, is unwarranted, unwanted and unannounced adware and I find it frankly outrageous that they have done this.

Avast! have, like any software company, had their share of development problems in the past and I have always continued to support them because I know that their base product is terrific. The vast majority of avast! installations are free and of course avast! have to make revenue on something, and I fully understand and agree with that. They add Google Chrome in their installation routine and I understand that, but the user is given the choice of including it or not. In this case there was no prior warning to the user. The user opened up his amazon home page this morning and that SafePrice thing popped up, covering at least a third of his display. If their plugin doesn't work with Firefox, that is their problem, not Mozilla's.

Maybe they care, maybe they don't, but for the first time in 16 years of being an avast! user and evangelist I am considering advising my clients to use an alternative anti-virus, one that doesn't contain adware.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
"Beretgascon' You can disable safe price from within the AOS ( Avast Online Security ) settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:08 AM »
The damn thing isn't even accurate!  I'm a writer, and I just clicked on one of my own book titles in the BN store to check something in the listing.  Safe-price popped up with an offer to steer me away from this store (BN Nook store) to another (Kobo store) with a lower price.  One problem: It took me to someone else's book with a different title, with one word in common with my own book's title.  Good way to cost me sales!

Even before this, I found the thing to be annoying and intrusive.  And I agree, it should be simpler to turn it off altogether.
Yep. It's quite inaccurate.

I looked up a video card and it told me I could find a cheaper price and the cheapest one was for a lower-end card.
I also looked up an 8 GB set of RAM. It told me that I could find it quite a bit cheaper... if I was only interested in 4 GB.

And when I looked up the same device on amazon and on newegg, safeprice gave me 2 different lists of cheaper listings.

Offline Jaggwire

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
You folks have a virus/threat lurking on this page, according to your own software. Ironically, I navigated here to see if others were still having issues with this (as I once did).

I took a screen shot of the blocked threat and am attempting to attach it below.

I'm a bit worried when Avast's own blog contains a threat. I'm a PAID subscriber (Premium), and I have a right to be concerned.

Trish

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 12:06:05 AM »
You folks have a virus/threat lurking on this page, according to your own software. Ironically, I navigated here to see if others were still having issues with this (as I once did).

I took a screen shot of the blocked threat and am attempting to attach it below.

I'm a bit worried when Avast's own blog contains a threat. I'm a PAID subscriber (Premium), and I have a right to be concerned.

Trish

I would think the only way to get this is to occur is if there is what Avast would consider a "suspicious" attachment and I notice based on your attachment it was apparently page 1.  There is only one attachment on page 1 and it seems fine and gives me no trouble as far as Avast is concerned.

Rather odd, no doubt, but I think we can all agree we DO want Avast to capture "suspicious" stuff even if it resides in the Avast forum, RIGHT?  ;)

So the location of where the "suspicious" activity is found is no matter, it's catching and preventing "suspicious" activity is what's important.

That said, I personally have no explanation as to why you would get that alert from Avast in this case since I'm not experiencing it.

Is this persistent or did it just occur this one time in this thread topic?

ADDENDUM: Btw, that URL address in your attachment doesn't look like it would be this thread.  Could it have been an alert message from somewhere else?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:09:20 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 12:43:54 AM »
The IP address in the image isn't avast and there appears to be a url/shares.json? redirect going on to an avast blog post. But I don't see anything like this on this page/topic and I'm certainly not getting any alert.

So I have no idea where this redirection is coming from.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security