Author Topic: >SOLVED< after update to 2014 build 2011 cant start many programms  (Read 4631 times)

cactus.jacker

Hi, after using autoupdate from build 2009 to 2011, I get an error for almost every program that autostarts at bootup and for programs I try to start manually. after turning off the file protection in Avast, the programs can start. the Error messages I get are:
1) C:\program files\programfolder\programname.exe .... wrong parameter
2) or couldn't load XPCOM

as far as I can tell the programs that need an internet connection are having these problems since the update went in and after the first reboot. I've done several reboots. does'nt help. It is defenitely a problem in the new build of Avast Antivirus FREE 2014 build 2011

any help would be appreciated.

Pierre
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:27:44 PM by cactus.jacker »

jwoods301

Re: after update to 2014 build 2011 cant start many programms
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:28 AM »
As a test, re-enable the File System Shield, then go in to Settings, Sensitivity, and under Hueristics, uncheck Use Code Emulation if it is not already unchecked.

cactus.jacker

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »
As a test, re-enable the File System Shield, then go in to Settings, Sensitivity, and under Hueristics, uncheck Use Code Emulation if it is not already unchecked.

Thank you for answering. I tried what you suggested, turned off the code emulation, but the programs create the same error message.

Any further recommendation ?

jwoods301

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
Another test is under Antivirus, DeepScreen, uncheck Enable DeepScreen if it is not already unchecked.

If Hardened Mode > Enable Hardended Mode is checked, uncheck that and test after you have tested the DeepScreen change.

Test one change at a time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:26:04 AM by jwoods301 »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:23 AM »
I wouldn't recommend turning off deepscreen...

Could you show a screenshot of the error you are receiving?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

jwoods301

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
I am recommending testing DeepScreen to see if it is the culprit.

I have encountered issues with it in the past.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:35:34 AM by jwoods301 »

seeker15

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:01:38 AM »
Instead of turning OFF deepscreen or code emulation features, its better to shut down the whole damn thing temporarily and then re-enable when you are done working on the program. It does not make sense to disable the core features that actually would have protected! Avast should note this case and provide a fix. In an attempt to solve one problem, other things go broke.

P.S: Google Earth is one such program that is not starting as of now.

jwoods301

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:17:57 AM »
Not interested in starting a flame war over features and what best practice is/should be...the OP stated that the issue was happening at boot with program(s) set to auto start.

I am not recommending that the OP turn off features permanently, just for the boot cycle to test if there has been any change.

That said, I will also say that I have had both DeepScreen and Code Emulation turned off for several months, and have never had an issue, either with infections or performance.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:23:24 AM by jwoods301 »

cactus.jacker

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
sorry for the responce delay. It was 2.30am local time here.

here's an update of what i have tried...
1) turning off the Code Emulation (does not help)
2) turning off Deep Screen function (odes not help)
3) turning off the FileSystem Protection (this helps. I can then start Firefox or any other program. But that isnt advisable.)

I'm using the free version of Avast  (no other protection software. The windows 7 internal Firewall is active). All the Autostart Programms cannnot start. The Lanuchmanager for the special keys on my notebook for instance, the soundcard controls, etc.)

attached is a screenshot of the error messages. I had to turn the file protection off, on, off to be able to call up the snipping tool.

This problem showed up immediately after installing the update to build 2011. The notebook has a freshly installed Windows 7 x64 on it. Just standard software nothing exotic or possibly corrupt or even near being Malware.

I could try a complete deinstall of Avast and then reinstall. I suspect though that the error is just some mistake in the build 2011 and a reinstall will not help.
it seems to that Avast is redirecting the initialization calls for the programs.

If you look at the last message for WORD, the error is "the file cannot be found" (I'm using a german version of windows).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:05:56 PM by cactus.jacker »

cactus.jacker

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
Hi ,
I just started an uninstall and reinstall of Avast. Lets see if that helps.....

No, now it crashes when starting. The AvastUI.exe starts, can be seen in the Taskmanager and then crashes with a message: can't start one of the language dll (1033\uILangRes.dll)

I'll uninstall again, then use the avast cleanup tool and try again. be right back.
Same error. The Avast GUI does not start anymore. Crashes with the above DLL message.

Oh, Avast isn't having any luck with this new Build. If you look thru the Forum here. there are hundreds of new Errors occurring.

Any Suggestions anyone?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:45:56 PM by cactus.jacker »

cactus.jacker

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
Okay. Problem Solved.  :D

For anyone else having this same problem or a similar problem...
do the following:

1) download the Avast setup from the website: http://www.avast.com/de-de/download-software
2) and the Avast Cleanup tool: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
3) also download Rajzor's Cleanup Tool from here: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

uninstall Avast in normal mode from Software or Programs and Features. Then boot into Safe-mode (use the F8 Key during boot-up, select Safe-mode with network).
When in Safe-mode use the avast cleanup tool from avast. select the proper Version in selection menu and continue till done.

Reboot, this time into normal mode. Then use Rajzors Cleanup Tool. It removes everything else that was left from an old installation.

Now start the new Installation of Avast. then reboot again.

In my case the problems were resolved. It seems it wasn't directly a problem in the new build 2011. It must have been some changes in registry entries or mismatched file versions from the other builds.

One more thing. I use Avast in its standard default configuration. I have never changed any of the special settings. In its default, Avast works great.

Thanks to you all for your help.

*** NOTE: this happened on a freshly installed Window 7 x64 Notebook. The Avast 2014.2009 version auto updated to 2014.2011 and wham, the problem was there. This build needs a lot more bug checking...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:30:29 PM by cactus.jacker »