Author Topic: avast and google earth  (Read 8276 times)

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
avast and google earth
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
google earth crash with new version of avast internet security (firewall is the problem)...not open google earth...and counter of file shield  not work
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:30:06 PM by miguelgrado »

Rohugh

Re: avast and google earth
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »
google earth crash with new version of avast internet security (firewall is the problem)...not open google earth...

Yep,  not working for me either.

seeker15

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »
I am not much techy but I think avast broke something under the hood or changed something that I am seeing different results in https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm in DNS spoofability test.

The text goes: "During the DNS Nameserver Spoofability test, the nameserver(s) listed below failed to emit a sufficient quantity of queries to allow a reliable and accurate appraisal of the nameserver's spoofability. This is an unusual occurrence that typically means that some form of network intermediation, such as a bandwidth or query load-balancer may be interposed between the nameserver and the public Internet. The results from such low-query nameservers can typically be ignored since they are very likely spurious. However, since we did receive some queries, they are listed below in the interest of accuracy and completeness:"

I don't know but this result differs from the usual chart that we could see after the test with different remarks.
And maybe there is some connection with a 'possible' change that google earth is failing to start. Because when I check in 'network connection', I could see Google earth attempting to connect to some i100.net but could not establish connection, resulting in failure to initialise and start I guess.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
plugin cloud reader de foxit reader , crash also...

Mcbuff

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »
I am also having a problem to open Google Earth. What's the deal?

kevy99

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
I have the same problem. Can't load Google Earth. Here's what I get http://screencast.com/t/HaBPMgsJ9xV  and here's the technical information.    http://screencast.com/t/6CtsP0Z3cm93

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
I have already sent crahs reports and avast team is working in a solution ,i hope...

Slider21212

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
I have been told today that there will be a fix in the next programme update

Keithj

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:48:04 PM »
I had an e-mail from Avast this morning with an interim fix:
Open avast!, by clicking on the orange "a" in the task bar.
Then click on SETTINGS, ACTIVE PROTECTION and, next to "Firewall" click STOP and STOP FOR 10 MINUTES.
Then open Google Earth, click on "tools" and "options", "navigation" and uncheck "Enable controller".
Now, reactivate the Firewall and the problem should be solved.

It certainly solved the problem for me.  I don't know what the "Controller" in Navigation does, but GE seems to work just the same as before.

Prior to that, I would "stop" Avast, open GE, reactivate, and that worked too.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »
Then click on SETTINGS, ACTIVE PROTECTION and, next to "Firewall" click STOP and STOP FOR 10 MINUTES.
Then open Google Earth, click on "tools" and "options", "navigation" and uncheck "Enable controller".

It certainly solved the problem for me.  I don't know what the "Controller" in Navigation does, but GE seems to work just the same as before.

all ok...google earth work..thanks.. ;)

Noisette_GE

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »

Thank you for posting this, I've copied it onto the Google Earth forum as well, since people have been asking about it there.

The "enable controller" option is for non-mouse controllers like the space navigator or leap motion.  At one point Google turned it on by default, but it caused problems for those using an uncalibrated controller (joystick or other), so they turned it off again for new installations.  What happens if somebody is using a non-mouse controller and Avast I don't know.