Author Topic: Looking for log due to supposed infection  (Read 2090 times)

SATC

Looking for log due to supposed infection
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
Hey, I had some problems last night and I can't tell if I have a legitimate problem or a massive false positive due to windows update.
I need to find the log file for full system scans so I can get someone to look it over.

The reason I'm having my doubts is because I was pending a restart on windows update when I started the scans, it was a large batch.
Avast also claimed that the reboot scan would be needed to remove the infections which it labeled as root kits.
However, the bootscan, out of 93 supposedly infected files, found no infections but 5 files with an Error 0xC000009C {STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR}. which has not happened before the incident.
when the windows reboot was done A popup appeared complaining about windows update not opening properly (I cant remember exactly what)
I can't think of anything that would have caused an infection.
ANd regular avast claims not to have permission to delete the infections but it cant find any trace of it in subsequent full system scans either.

jwoods301

Re: Looking for log due to supposed infection
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:34:41 AM »
Several logs located in \All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log.

If reporting is turned on, report files for each shield are located in \All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report.

HTH

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
If you're looking for scan results...

Avast>Scan>bottom right corner>scan logs.

All infected items by default are sent to the virus chest so they can be restored.

If in doubt, upload the file to http://virustotal.com and see the results of other AV vendors.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

SATC

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
Thank for your replies, I need the file for scans I've started myself.
Its not in the reports folder as that one only seems to contain reports from shields.
The log folder is full of files with extensions I cant activate and those in text format doesn't seem to contain the information.
Just viewing the log in avast sadly isn't enough as I cant transport that information.

still, it does help me confirm that Avast did not delete the files, I have a bootscan log stating that it didn't delete the files either.
There are no more shown infections and all files were in the winsxs folder which is used by Windows update.
I am leaning more and more towards that this has turn out to be much adoo about nothing.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
There are no more shown infections and all files were in the winsxs folder which is used by Windows update.
in some cases avast give detection if scanning right after a windows update ... dont know why, but this has been reported befor