Author Topic: WebShield slows down Google  (Read 3117 times)

AlphaUMi

WebShield slows down Google
« on: December 19, 2013, 07:55:07 PM »
A friend of mine just updated avast! Free Edition to the latest version, and from that moment he noticed that Google page takes a long, long time to load, and even a simple search requires 15-20 seconds to complete. Strangely, a lot of other sites we tried to open are not affected by this slow down, and open quite immediately. I suggested him to disable the WebShield just to make a try, and guess what? Google opens immediately. Then we restarted the web protection and again Google runs very, very slowly.

He runs Windows 7 Home 64 bit, and the browser he uses is Firefox 26. We didn't try with IE. He has Comodo Firewall, but there was no problem before the latest update of avast!.

For example, I have win xp home 32, latest avast free, comodo firewall, but I'm not affected by this problem, and personally I'm happy because everything is working as expected.

What could be the cause of this? I think we could try to add Google to the exclusion list, but since this is not normal, I thought I could write here and wait for suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Alpha.

Rohugh

Re: WebShield slows down Google
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »
Disable Avast Online Security add-on in the tools>extensions menu.

zorgon

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
Same thing happens to me with firefox even with AOS turned off. I wonder if the problem is due to the fact that Google search results are https: ? Turn off Webshield and the Google page comes up almost immediately. With Webshield on it takes 10 or more seconds. Edit: this is with avast on a XP SP3 computer. Also hangs on a computer with Windows 7.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:33:37 PM by zorgon »

lord ami

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:07 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143092.msg1037736#msg1037736

This is temporary fix. I'm working with devs and seems like they finally found the cause of this issue :) At least new driver on my system finally turned everything back to as it's used to be. Are  you using Windows 7 without SP1?

zorgon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »
Yes, SP1. But this slowdown is happening with 2014 build 2008 on XP. The Windows 7 computer has V8 of avast.

Edit: and the slowdown is only on Google.

AlphaUMi

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143092.msg1037736#msg1037736

This is temporary fix. I'm working with devs and seems like they finally found the cause of this issue :) At least new driver on my system finally turned everything back to as it's used to be. Are  you using Windows 7 without SP1?

Thank you for reporting this fix. I will notify my friend about it.