Author Topic: Stuck on Launcing executable file: AvastEmUpdate.exe /updater  (Read 7659 times)

CooloutAC

Stuck on Launcing executable file: AvastEmUpdate.exe /updater
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
My virus definitions were up to date, but I tried to update the program after file hippo notified me there is a new update (don't know why avast never did)

I got to step 3 out of 3 and the progress bar hangs almost at the end stuck on Luanching executable file: AvastEmUpdate.exe /updater.

I then just downloaded the install file from filehippo,  but it never starts installing,  the self extractor just hangs.  What the heck is going on?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:16:00 PM by CooloutAC »

AdrianH

Re: Stuck on Launcing executable file: AvastEmUpdate.exe /updater
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
The same thing happens if you try to make a fresh install of avast free or AIS ........

Avast have made a royal mess of things lately.

CooloutAC

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »
I restarted a second time and all seems to be ok.  I can now click on settings, and click update and it says it is already up to date.  Filehippo also says everything is up to date now.  weird, but it seems ok now.

NoelC

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
Apparently that "updater" tool is trying to access something online, and it's not equipped with a timeout.  That's not exactly good design.

Unfortunately, this leaves your system in a "stuck" state, as that step will never complete unless you log off or reboot.  After that, I wouldn't bet on the efficacy of the installed software.

One possibility:  If you use the mvps.org hosts file, it's possible you're blocking a "parasite" web site that Avast's "updater" tool depends upon (don't think too hard about that if security concerns worry you) - thus the program hangs.  Try temporarily renaming your hosts file to hosts.ref and see if the updater will succeed.

-Noel