Poll

Have you experienced download problems with WebShield? Did it get any better after this fix.

No apparent download issues, before or after.
43 (39.4%)
I do have some issues, running XP or Vista, no change after the fix.
3 (2.8%)
I do have some issues, running Windows 7 or 8, no change after the fix.
39 (35.8%)
I had some issues, running Windows 7 or 8, issues are gone after the fix.
12 (11%)
I do have some issues, don't know if I have the fix or not.
12 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Fix for WebShield download issues  (Read 116287 times)

Telegraph_Sam

Re: Fix for WebShield download issues
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
PS: My layman's understanding of a patch-fix is a file of some sort that is added to an existing program, via the internet, to get it to work better.  In this case there is a slight problem in that I can't download anything, so whatever I have or have not done it is hardly surprising that nothing has happened and the problem remains unpatched.
Would the / a solution be for Avast to send me the patch - as an attachment - which I could access via Yahoo Mail or via this forum from another PC, transfer onto a flash drive, and then install it onto this PC?

iroc9555

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
I voted for " No apparent download issues, before or after ". However, I've tried to recreate aswstm.sys following lukor's procedure without positive results. I've even waited 15 min, but the new file does not show. I will wait for the EmUpadate.

Does this patch ( procedure ) also apply for Windows XP_86 ?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

Nope.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Leo-Libero

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »
Hi Lukor!

I am using Win7.
If Webshield is disabled the problem immediately disappears.
The problem came with the last update (don't know which) 2-3 days ago.
After installing avast! free 2014 yesterday I still had the same problem.
After editing the webshield.ini as told in the other thread today, everything seems to work fine again.
At least for the moment. ;-)

I hope you don't mind my english, because I'm from Germany!

Regards

iroc9555

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »

Nope.

Thanks Asyn. so no worries.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
To date no change to my previous report - the file listings in my Windows XP Explorer are as before.

Telegraph, sorry for not being clear about that, but this patch is for windows7 and higher. The patched driver, aswstm.sys, is not used on Windows XP and Vista.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »

Nope.

Thanks Asyn. so no worries.

You're welcome Hernan.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

T-man

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
...I deleted the temporary solution:

websheld.ini
[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

after emergency patch...and all is OK!

Thanks! :D

Win7PRO no sp1

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »
I haven't noticed any major improvement, but I'd already done that "UseStreamFilter=0" work-around in the INI which did help considerably, and I suspect your new patch makes more or less the same change.

You should now turn it back on (UseStreamFilter) because this patch actually changes something in the driver to fix the issue. If the fix would have been so easy, it wouldn't have required testing at all :)
Noted, thanks.  Interestingly, I just went to the INI to do that, and that whole [General] para was gone already -- I don't remember deleting it myself, but possibly the EmUpdate patch also put in a fresh INI.

Guess I need clarification at this point.  Should I put that para back in so it's explicit (with new value of 1, presumably), or as another poster noted, does it in effect default to on in the absence of any entry?  Thanks again, and best.

(Edit, afterthought) I'm still getting delays moving from page to page on the web, but the pages seem to load quickly enough once located -- seems more like a DNS traffic problem than anything to do with avast.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:27:22 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

lord ami

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
I haven't noticed any major improvement, but I'd already done that "UseStreamFilter=0" work-around in the INI which did help considerably, and I suspect your new patch makes more or less the same change.

You should now turn it back on (UseStreamFilter) because this patch actually changes something in the driver to fix the issue. If the fix would have been so easy, it wouldn't have required testing at all :)
Noted, thanks.  Interestingly, I just went to the INI to do that, and that whole [General] para was gone already -- I don't remember deleting it myself, but possibly the EmUpdate patch also put in a fresh INI.

Guess I need clarification at this point.  Should I put that para back in so it's explicit (with new value of 1, presumably), or as another poster noted, does it in effect default to on in the absence of any entry?  Thanks again, and best.

(Edit, afterthought) I'm still getting delays moving from page to page on the web, but the pages seem to load quickly enough once located -- seems more like a DNS traffic problem than anything to do with avast.

Nope, there's no need for change in the .ini file no more :) Everything is working as intended after emergency update.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:31:14 PM by Lord Ami »

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 12:52:30 AM »
To date no change to my previous report - the file listings in my Windows XP Explorer are as before.

Telegraph, sorry for not being clear about that, but this patch is for windows7 and higher. The patched driver, aswstm.sys, is not used on Windows XP and Vista.

This will hardly surprise you Lukor!: What are we XP Luddites meant to do if the patch doesn't patch the problem for us? Would Avast kindly provide an alternative please (with instructions on how to implement for dummies)

Pointy

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »
This seems to have fixed my problem.
I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »

This will hardly surprise you Lukor!: What are we XP Luddites meant to do if the patch doesn't patch the problem for us? Would Avast kindly provide an alternative please (with instructions on how to implement for dummies)

Hi, this must be completely unrelated issue, some of the users reported that switching back to old (but also tried and true) webshield with proxy helped them with the issue, which helped us identify the problem inside the new driver. 

Have you tried enabling webshield scanning for "well known browsers only"?

Revoke

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
Hi! I had this issue before patch and I have it now with a new (.265) aswstm.sys file in avast x86 folder. Problem is that aswstm.sys file in windows' drivers folder is the old one .263
Running Win7 32 SP0.

Replaced it manually in safe mode. Seems as problem is fixed now.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:53:41 PM by Revoke »

Telegraph_Sam

Re: Fix for WebShield download issues in XP
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
"Have you tried enabling webshield scanning for "well known browsers only"?

There are obviously a whole load of permutations of options within Settings Active Protection and up to now I have just gone along with the defaults.  My latest attempt had all the boxes ticked within Web Shield but in addition the one you suggested  "Scan traffic from well known browsers only" -> No change, nothing happens after I click on download attachment.  I could try blindly changing all the other boxes within Mail Shield and File System Shield, ending up with disabling 100% of Active Protection - at which point it would be more sensible to replace Avast with MS Security Essentials or AVG before I do any damage.  The block could of course be due to something completely unrelated, but that would be a coincidence. 
Is there no one else reading this who uses Yahoo Mail together with 32-bit XP and who has, or has not had these download problems, and if so with what settings??? :'(