Poll

Have you experienced download problems with WebShield? Did it get any better after this fix.

No apparent download issues, before or after.
43 (39.4%)
I do have some issues, running XP or Vista, no change after the fix.
3 (2.8%)
I do have some issues, running Windows 7 or 8, no change after the fix.
39 (35.8%)
I had some issues, running Windows 7 or 8, issues are gone after the fix.
12 (11%)
I do have some issues, don't know if I have the fix or not.
12 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Fix for WebShield download issues  (Read 115786 times)

peterNL

Re: Fix for WebShield download issues
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 05:58:34 AM »
Sorry !!! one correction
Web Shield off permanently - internet works as usual - very fast I mean.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
Sorry !!! one correction
Web Shield off permanently - internet works as usual - very fast I mean.

Hello Peter,

thanks for the report. If you are really running on the updated version of the driver (aswstm.sys, 265 - yes, in system32\drivers - you can tell easily it is the correct one by the fact, that there are many other driver (.sys) files there), I have no clue at the moment. I might guide you how to enable logging and we might try to find some hints in the logs, it all depends if you are willing to spend some time with it.

If not, I would suggest switching back to proxy-based WebShield, by the following change in the ini file:

websheld.ini

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

And restarting.

Everything should run as before, even though not exactly the same as the whole period you are using avast. WebShield was introduced in avast 4.5, and later modified in behavior in 4.8, which is roughly 10 years ago, so switching WebShield off would bring you more into the golden years before that.

In case you would like to help finding the problem, and also for anyone other with same/different symptoms with 9.0.265, here are the logging settings that would generate some logs for us:

StreamFilter.ini:

[Common]
FileLogLevel=0
RecordInput=1

Restart the shield.
Then send us the log folder and nsf folder, both subfolders of the avast's programdata (C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log, C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\nsf)

All edits in the INI files should be done with SelfDefense disabled, I recommend re-enabling it back and undoing the edits after your are finished with testing.

Even more logging can be obtained with DbgView, download from here: http://live.sysinternals.com/Dbgview.exe
Run as administrator, in the menu, select enable Kernel Capture, enable Verbose Kernel Output.
After the problem occurs (which should be easy), send us the output from the debugview window together with the logs.

BTW: if you see the following line, you are running the correct version:
AswStm.sys, ver. 9.0.2011, patch 3 - 'Lauri'
We'll continue testing of course. It is a new code, so actually we were expecting some problems, but it is also being tested in our QA lab at least since August 2013, so it is not rushed and it behaves great in our tests. So far it seems that the API we are using (WFP) is behaving differently in Windows 7 (no SP).

Anyone with similar problems on Windows 8?

Thanks a lot for all your reports and patience. Lukas.

opollo

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »
I've recently been having problems with the web shield, when its switched on I cannot connect to the internet, switch it off it works.
What is going on, I've never in many a year when using avast had any problems with it until now.

stephenavast

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »
I've recently been having problems with the web shield, when its switched on I cannot connect to the internet, switch it off it works.
What is going on, I've never in many a year when using avast had any problems with it until now.

Join the club, annoying, isn't it!! You'd think they'd fix it in an 'automatic update', but so far, nothing. Here's the thing,  I'm not a computer geek, I don't want to trial a 'patch', I just want the product, Avast,to work. If you're offering a 'patch', why can't you incorporate it in a normal update??

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »

Join the club, annoying, isn't it!! You'd think they'd fix it in an 'automatic update', but so far, nothing. Here's the thing,  I'm not a computer geek, I don't want to trial a 'patch', I just want the product, Avast,to work. If you're offering a 'patch', why can't you incorporate it in a normal update??

And your operating system versions are, guys? Thanks.

stephenavast

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »

And your operating system versions are, guys? Thanks.

Mine is Windows Home 7... thank you. Avast is 2014.9.0.2011

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »
Hi,
thanks for the info.
The patch is already delivered automatically and is also a part of the installation process, I just wanted to have some feedback from the active users that come to the forums (a minority of our users).

I would really recommend switching back to proxy-based WebShield for you.

Edit websheld.ini in avast's programdata folder.

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Lukas.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
Please vote in the poll on the first page. Thanks a lot. Lukas.

stephenavast

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »
Hi,
thanks for the info.
The patch is already delivered automatically and is also a part of the installation process, I just wanted to have some feedback from the active users that come to the forums (a minority of our users).

I would really recommend switching back to proxy-based WebShield for you.

Edit websheld.ini in avast's programdata folder.

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Lukas.

Is there a ".exe" available to apply this patch from Avast? As I said, I'm not a geek, just an ordinary Joe who use to be able to connect 100% to the internet, but now can't since updating as you requested via pop ups & without switching off the WebShield protection...

didierjoly

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »
Hello and good evening

I am having the same problem as peterNL with Avast Pro 2014.9.00.2011 version operating system Windows Seven SP1 Feerwall ZoneAlarm Pro Version 12.0.104.000.

It is the first time that an application is also poorly organized and update all versions.
It is wondering how create you and test the Beta version? Personally I was in version Free by then at least 13 years old I decided to pass in version Pro what was not my surprise and time spent to solve the problem of the super Avast which lost much of its superb if not resolved in the coming hours.
I wonder if the team of developers did not their resignations for not an anti virus but an Avast access except for the user.
Good through your Forum, I was able to get the previous version 2014.9.00.2006 with a download site infect my PC 5 Malwares.

You wish good reception for correction

Yours, gentlemen, ladies my remarks

Didier Joly

Bonjour, ou Bonsoir

Je rencontre le même problème que peterNL  avec la version Avast Pro 2014.9.00.2011  operating system Windows Seven SP1 Feerwall ZoneAlarm Pro Version  12.0.104.000.

C'est bien la première fois qu'une application est aussi mal  réalisée et mise en update toutes versions.
C'est à se demander comment vous réaliser et tester les Beta version ?. Personnellement j'étais en version Free de puis au moins 13 ans j'ai décidé de passer en version Pro quelle fut pas ma surprise et le temps passé pour résoudre le problème du super Avast qui a bien perdu de sa superbe si non résolu dans les heures à venir.
Je me demande si l'équipe de développeurs n'a pas demandé leur démission pour avoir réalisé non pas un anti virus mais un Avast tout accès sauf pour l'utilisateur.
Bon grâce à votre Forum, j'ai pu obtenir la version antérieur  2014.9.00.2006 avec un site de téléchargement infectant mon PC  de 5 Malwares .

Vous en souhaitant bonne réception, pour correction

Veuillez , agréer Messieurs, Mesdames mes amabilités

Didier Joly

peterNL

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2013, 02:00:12 AM »
Hi Lukas, Hi fellow avast users

Thank You very much for your response Lukas. I appreciate it very much but I've already switched back to 2014.9.0.2008.

Since couple of years I use Eaz-Fix Pro (RollBack Rx) and this program allows me to COMPLETELY restore my system
to the point I've made a snapshot of it. On contrary to the other so called "System Restore" programs (which are mostly very bad) 
Eaz-Fix REALLY restores everything without any single issue. This program truely is a Life Saver...
So I restored my system to before avast program update and now I'm back with version 2014.9.0.2008.

At least now I can use the net again. You know, this version also slows down the internet browsing
(my girlfried warned me about it weeks ago but I didn't listen to her and I didn't now right then that it is due to avast )
but I can live with this kind of slow down. With the newest version 2014.9.0.2011 I can't use the internet at all !!!

I will stay with 2014.9.0.2008 untill You release another program update which will fix these WebShield issues permanently.
I hope it will happen soon. I'll check this forum frequently to see to it & to read how the other users respond to it.

Please, if You could only confirm to me that ver. xxxxx2008 still protects me as well  as xxxxx2011 would,
then I'll be at peace with it and wait for the correct program update.

You see, since many many years I use avast side by side with Zone Alarm Pro Firewall and they're working toegether perfectly, not a single issue.
Also Win Partol, Sandboxie, Keyscrambler & of course Eaz-fix. I never had any conflicts among these programs and I intend to keep it this way.
That's one of the reasons why I want to stay with avast, the others are that avast served me SO WELL since so many years and now with this FIRST big issue
I just couldn't turn my back on it. :-)

Again, Thank You for your quick response Lukas,

Happy New Year's Eve & All the Best in the New Year to You and to Whole Staff of avast
and to You ALL - FELLOW avast users 

Peter Jankowy from Holland

P.S. Please don't forget  - (if You could only confirm to me that ver. xxxxx2008 still protects me as well  as xxxxx2011)

Szilu

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
Hello Lukas,

I'm back after a few days. Still no "automatic update to the new version". Emergency Update folder is empty.

I have a couple of questions:
Obsolete: 1) If i do a clean wipe of avast i have found some topics on the issue. Will i have the new magival *.265 sys version?

2) Did you know that youtube won't play at all because of the web shield? I presume it has something to do with the fact that you are not letting the pop-up ads show up.

Obsolete: 3) Except 1 there is no real solution to the problem ? Force downloading the patch etc and retrying from cmd to force lunch it?

4) Everybody is talking about *.ini files where are they located? i searched for them in the Avast Instalation folder with TCM(Total commander) no webshield ini at all...

Happy New Year! and maybe as a suggestion you could pull SO info from the user base to run at least one testbed with computers with OS share higher then 10% or some arbitrary threshold.

Update: i just re-ran my Avast Pro instalation from your website :) The irony was that i had to disable avast completely. Finally updated to *.265 i'll come back with feedback!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:39:51 AM by Szilu »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
Happy New Year.

Szilu, if your last comment was supposed to suggest we are not testing with Windows 7 SP0 or Windows 7 SP1, you are wrong, we test with all operating systems and service pack combinations. Anyway thanks for the suggestion. As soon as any new OS version comes up with >10% user share, we will of course start testing on that one as well. Do you have any specific OS version in mind? We also test on unreleased versions, such as intermediate builds of Windows 8 and 8.1.

Ad 2) we do NOT block any pop-ups from WebShield. What made you think WebShied blocks any popups?

Ad 3) you can download the patch from here: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/aswstm.9.0.2011.265.zip

Ad 1) yes, that's how it should work and does on thousands of installations.

Lukas.

Szilu

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »
Hello Lukas,

Well basically those are java scripts or so i think, when i disabled the Web Shield they worked  :o i presumed you scan them. I'm an embedded developer so my assumptions were wrong.

As in the post above with the new version i can watch youtube videos as well. Will come back soon with feedback.

BR,

Jozsef Szilagyi

GTX66

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I just checked mine and it was patched on 12.20.2013 without my intervention.