Poll

Have you experienced download problems with WebShield? Did it get any better after this fix.

No apparent download issues, before or after.
43 (39.4%)
I do have some issues, running XP or Vista, no change after the fix.
3 (2.8%)
I do have some issues, running Windows 7 or 8, no change after the fix.
39 (35.8%)
I had some issues, running Windows 7 or 8, issues are gone after the fix.
12 (11%)
I do have some issues, don't know if I have the fix or not.
12 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Fix for WebShield download issues  (Read 115783 times)

olddog

Re: Fix for WebShield download issues
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 01:46:27 AM »
I've promissed and updated aswStreamFilter.dll for testing. It's here: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/aswstreamfilter.269.zip

Have installed aswstreamfilter.dll (9.0.2194.269) and associated aswstreamfilter.dll.sum (and also removed the "UseStreamFilter=0" from the .ini file)
Early days yet, but it seems to be working without any issues on Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, and Avast 2014.9.0.2011 Free.

fssbillk

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2014, 03:34:39 PM »
Not sure if my problem is webshield or Avast Free Version 9.0.2011 issue.  Have Win XP Pro and IE8.  After days of comparing three of my machines (same os/ie, where one works and the other two don't), the only difference is my "good" machine has vers 9.0.2008.

As with others who have posted in this thread, I am a long-time user and avid fan of Avast.  But with the advent of 2014 software, I've experienced numerous, time-consuming problems, from installation to execution.  This is killing me!  I, too, would like a link to some previous versions.

Anyhoot, try this on a WinXP, IE8, AvastFree 2014.9.0.2011 cornputer:  go to my bank's website - https://www.bankatunion.com/home/home.  Then under Business Banking, click Login.  Then type anything into the three fields (co id, user id, user pw) and click Log  In.  I get a Done or Error in the bottom left of the IE window.  You should get a new page saying your credentials are bad (which I do with vers .2008).

I hope this repeatable error will help you solve my problem.  Thanks!

I forgot to post that when you get to the screen with the three fields and F5-Refresh the screen before entering/clicking, it seems to work.  Maybe this will help with diagnosis.

Hi fssbilk, since you are using Windows XP, your problem is completely unrelated to this "new" webshield and new problems - this technology is deployed on Windows 7+ only.

lukor, thanks for the response.  Since this is apparently not a WebShield issue, I'll repost this problem under 2014 vers 2011 thread.  Have you tried to recreate this particular problem?

Offline Tobur

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »
Have been reading this correspondence from the start with increasing confusion - I am a 77 year old NON whiz kid on PCs. I have Desktop XP SP3 and Laptop Windows 7 and yesterday I installed  Avast Free 2014 on both. My broadband speed on the XP machine then almost halved from approx. 40Mbp to around 20Mbp. When I turned off Web Shield my speed returned to normal.
(The Windows 7 machine seemed to suffer no harmful effects). I tried the 'patch' solution suggested at the beginning but, as others have reported, the new files did not appear - yet now I have turned on Web Shield again and my download speed has returned to its normal 40!! At this point I am a candidate for a Home for the Bewildered!
May I finish with a suggestion for those posting - as a learned professor of mine once said "always try to speak to the lowest common denominator in your audience! 

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
Hi Tobur, nothing mentioned in this thread, patches or problems being described here is relevant to Windows XP installations. The code we are evaluating and possibly patching is not running on Windows Xp and is not even installed. The patches are not delivered on Windows XP.

We have created this whole new code for analyzing web traffic to improve the old one and remove compatibility and performance problems. I am glad to hear it works as it should for you (on your Windows 7 system)

Lukáš

Offline Tobur

« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the clear reply. I am still mystified by the fact that my download speed on XP was halved after installing Avast until I turned off Web Shield when it then returned to normal. This would indicate that Web Shield was the culprit - but now I have turned on Web Shield again  and my speed is back to normal -  nearly 40Mbp.
Curiouser and curiouser!!

chmichael

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
Hi, thanks for the note. I missed this one and I am not sure we have already tested with Squeezebox. Let me check this tomorrow.
Lukas.

BTW: I've promissed and updated aswStreamFilter.dll for testing. It's here: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/aswstreamfilter.269.zip
This should be unpacked into Avast program folder (with avast! Antivirus service stopped, self-defense off) and restart. I'll post here an update with eaiser installer/patcher shortly.

Lukas.

Yes, no more firefox freezing with this patch!! Thank you! (Windows 8.1 x64)

bikemanAMD

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
Tried this Patch on 8.1 Pro x64 to solve issue I had with IE 11 freezing at times, ended up messing up all my Modern Windows 8 Apps, so once fixed that with a system restore, decided to leave patch alone this time, and left browser protection out, finally solved my green videos it appears, before once in a while green video would be in the player of web videos and Desktop videos and Modern app video playback problems.     Since leaving browser protection out--working perfectly fine now.   

So Happy with Avast now, and sticking with it

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
Hi bikemanAMD, when talking about "browser protection", do you mean WebShield or "avast! Online Security" browser plugin?
Thanks.
Lukas.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:01 AM »
Avast online security browser plugin I believe was the cause, if this is unrelated to webshield, then my mistake for posting it in here

Did try the webshield stream filter patch manually, but seemed to mess up my Modern Windows 8.1 Pro x64bit apps on start screen, but got those fixed by reinstalling all of them.    Router login though is working fine now..so I guess most of my issues solved, no more "Green" video playback screens anywhere now--so that is a huge relief, I even did a system refresh to try and solve that last week

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:45:42 AM by bikemanAMD »

gkoch

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:49 AM »
I have a friend with windows 7 x64 sp1, IE 11, and avast 2014.9.0.2011 and it's not so much a download issue but some pages such as google.com dont come up. No error of any kind, it just stays on the same page or a blank page. Yahoo.com works fine and firefox/chrome work fine. I dont know if this problem is related but it started right after she upgraded from 2014.9.0.2006 yesterday. I did a system restore back to yesterday before the upgrade and the problem persisted.

Oh, and the patch didn't work.

An additional note, I ran IE as admin with no addons and it works. Non admin with no addons and it doesn't work.

My problem turned out to be an IE problem which I fixed by doing a reset. I'm not sure what caused the problem but I think it starting after the avast upgrade might have been coincidence.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:23:50 PM by gkoch »

MPac

« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »

On Win 7 Home Premium SP1 French, Firefox 26, FlashPlayer plugin 11.9.900.170, I have big issues (video sites, ADSL rate test, ...) after having updated Avast (Free, French) from 2013.8.0.1504 to 2014.9.0.2011.
All become Ok, if I desactivate the WebShield.

So, I have made the following actions :

1) Adding 2 new files (aswstm.sys 9.0.2011.265, and aswstm.sys.sum), made automatically by Avast, according Lucas post, dated 20 Dec 2013
 No results

2) Activating "Scan the traffic from known browser only" in WebShield.
 No results; So I turned back desactivating this line.

3) Implementing the Lucas patch (post, dated 31 Dec 2013) : replacing the 2 files (aswStreamFilter.dll, and aswStreamFilter.dll.sum) by the new files provided by Lucas.
I have let the 2 new files aswstm.sys, aswstm.sys.sum
 A little improvment; Before : no videos seen, after : videos seen during 20-30 s, then freeze.

4) Implementing the change of WebShield.ini (adding UseStreamFilter=0), in the 2 identical files WebShield.ini located in C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5 and C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5 (I did not change the WebShield.ini file, smaller and dated 8 May 2011, located in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\DATA).
I have kept the modifications made in 1) and 3)
 All is Ok, in "old fashion" Avast mode according Lucas, but the most important is to have a WebShield activated.

I hope an update of Avast will rapidly solve the problem.

Thanks to everybody in this forum.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
All the fixes has been incorporated into the beta. See here:http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144768.0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:26:41 AM by lukor »

SlyFox

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2014, 11:54:17 PM »
Interesting, i got this patch automatically. Haven't done anything... :)

Same here with me.  Remember when there was an issue with the web shield and a few members or tech support suggested to turn off the web shield, which I did and the problems went away.  After reading this thread, I went back to see if the web shield was turned back on and it was.  Thank goodness, as I rather not mess around with anything on Avast and get it all messed up.  Thank YOU for fixing the web shield issue.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
Thanks Bob, and sorry for the wrong link. It tends to be little clumsy when writting from my phone. Lukas