Author Topic: Can't Reinstall New Version  (Read 3162 times)

Offline evollbach

Can't Reinstall New Version
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:46:12 PM »
My operating system is Windows 98.

This morning I got a message from avast that a new version is available, so I chose to install right then, before I opened any other program. The install went fine, and I then chose to restart the computer.

The restart didn't happen (as is often the case with this old operating system), and I had to control>alt>delete a bunch of times until I could finally shut down. When I restarted, I didn't get the message from avast about the new version.

I then looked in About avast to check which version I had, and it showed that I still have 4.7.986. So I chose UPDATE PROGRAM from avast's right click menu. But when I did that, and it attempted to do the update, I got a message that the program is already up to date with version 4.7.1001.

I again checked About avast, and it still said I have version 4.7.986. So I shut down the computer, waited a few minutes, then restarted it. About avast still says I have version 4.7.986, and another attempt to update the program still tells me I have version 4.7.1001.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Beth

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can't Reinstall New Version
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Try using the "Repair" option in Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / avast! Antivirus, please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:17:15 AM »
Try using the "Repair" option in Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / avast! Antivirus, please.
If it fails, please,
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again.
6. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

Offline evollbach

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »

My operating system, Windows 98, doesn't have Repair in Add/Remove Programs. So I guess I'll need to uninstall the program. :-(

Beth

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
It does - this option isn't part of the operating system, but rather avast!. Click on the "Add/Remove" button and the avast! setup applet will appear.
Repair is the last option, you may have to scroll down to reach it.

Offline evollbach

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 02:00:01 AM »
Click on the "Add/Remove" button and the avast! setup applet will appear.
Repair is the last option, you may have to scroll down to reach it.

Dumb-de-dumb, as my mother would have said to me. Yes, that worked. Thank you.

Beth