Author Topic: questions regarding program update  (Read 2983 times)

testingNoobie

questions regarding program update
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:14:59 AM »
I have some question about avast program update I would like to ask

1) is it normal for avast program updates to take more than 1 hr to complete?

2) if the internet connection was terminated and reconnected while the program is updating will it cause any problem?

3) while avast program is updating, another software (e.g windows update, hp  software, Lenovo software) that requires reboot update itself and now both software requires reboot will it affect anything?

4) while the program is updating is it alright to just close the GUI and do other things. will the program still updates or will it be stop the moment you close the GUI?

5) while the program updates,I click other tab like the setting tab will it affect any thing?

6) while updating the program the server connection between avast and avast server is terminated will it affect anything?

I know this is a very long list, hope someone would be able to answer them. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:18:27 AM by testingNoobie »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: questions regarding program update
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:10:05 AM »
1. No it isn't normal (unless you happen to have a very slow internet connection), it sounds like it has stalled.
2. My guess would be a failed installation, probably resulting in a corrupt installation.
3. Unless other updates occurred that also required an reboot, if they don't immediately restart then when all are done a reboot should cover all.
4. Personally I wouldn't close it, but I don't know if there would be any ramification.
5. I don't know, but I wouldn't suggest doing it.
6. I guess this would be no different to 3. above.

There is a hell of a lot of speculation in here I rather doubt all of this could happen together/coincidentally.
So have any of these actually happened ?

That's me for the night 2:10am here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

testingNoobie

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:51 AM »
The actually all happen just not on the same PC.

1,2,5 & 6) they actually happen together while I was doing maintenance for someone.

1 hr into the program update it seem to be stuck at a certain part and not moving, so, I click on other tab and click back on to the update tab to see if it would show anything. It shows that the connection between avast and avast server is terminated and tries to reconnect even though the internet connection is still connected. While it is trying to reconnect the router was accidentally turn off by someone but was immediately turn back on again.

After that avast continues to download the file and around 30 mins later it says update complete and requires a reboot.

3) so I am assuming that what you mean is that as long as the update does not restart while avast is updating it is fine?

Btw how do you tell if the installation is corrupted?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:46:10 AM by testingNoobie »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Have you rebooted since this stalled update happened ?

If so what version of avast is it saying you have (?), that would give a clue if it completed.

If an installation was corrupt it is likely to show itself in the form of errors displayed, interface not working as previously, etc.

You may be best to do a clean install (this is for the avast free version):
- Download the latest version of avast, 9.0.2013  http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Note: save the copy of avastclear.exe so it can be reused as some users are reporting that after running it, it is self-deleting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

testingNoobie

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
Yes it has been rebooted it says version 2014.9.0.2013

Does it still need a reinstall in this case?

I have heard of people having problem reinstall and uninstall and ended up needing to reformat.

That PC have reformatted quite a few time because of installation problem so I rather avoid possible problem. If the program load up and does not display any error does it mean that it is alright?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »
Yes it has been rebooted it says version 2014.9.0.2013

Does it still need a reinstall in this case?

Well it is reporting the latest version, so it is possible it had completed before it stalled. In which case no need to reinstall, just monitor your use of avast for any anomalies/issues.

I have heard of people having problem reinstall and uninstall and ended up needing to reformat.

That PC have reformatted quite a few time because of installation problem so I rather avoid possible problem. If the program load up and does not display any error does it mean that it is alright?

Sorry but a clean reinstall is more likely to resolve a problem with the avast installation than end up requiring a reformat and Operating System reinstall.

There are a great many people were we recommended a clean reinstall and the likelihood of subsequently requiring a reformat, represent a very small fraction of a percent of those doing a clean reinstall.

thekochs

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »
Maybe this step-step for clean install may help: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143284.0
There are many threads with postings on this but I tried to create a complete How-To.
As DavidR said there are very few people whom required a O/S reinstall/repair and very many of those had other PC issues they are finding.
Also, it is not clear the ones that did were Avast caused....bottom line a clean install is always a good thing with complex software like an A/V.
It is also good to prep your machine too....see How-To thread.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:33:44 PM by thekochs »

testingNoobie

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
Thank for the advices, though I have some more question I would like to ask hope you don't mind.

1) After the reboot there are 2 avast shortcut on the desktop, when I tried to delete the older shortcut from the recycle bin it says it is still in use, so, I click cancel to not delete and refresh the recycle bin. However, the shortcut is gone, is that counted as nomalies?

2) is the uninstall untility for all version of avast (e.g can version 4.8 use it as well)

3) this is unrelated to the topic but just something I have wondered for a long time. For a newly bought PC is it possible for it to be attack by malware just by connecting to the internet? Not surfing or doing anything else.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:02:33 PM by testingNoobie »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
1. I wouldn't consider that an anomaly as it is possible that it may have been in use at the time, but possibly the avast self-defence may have an interaction.

2. The new uninstall utility (the link given) is capable of uninstalling previous avast versions.

3. Yes it is possible (though not an immediate risk) you don't have to be browsing as the connection is made and some exploits can try connection to randomly selected IP addresses. But it isn't something that you want to do if you can avoid it, e.g. have previously downloaded avast and firewall (security based applications) on another system with protection.

These applications can then be saved to USB or CD, etc.  Now you can install those applications by transferring them to the new systems. That said many new programs come with some programs pre-installed, that may or may not include an anti-virus.