Author Topic: Unsolicited update to Avast 2014 - nightmare  (Read 1941 times)

romar_mro

Unsolicited update to Avast 2014 - nightmare
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
This morning found my good old avast updated to 2014 version -- I have avoided till now at all price this update - tried before the 2014 version and seems to have lots more "adware" while the "modern" user interface I find it confusing at best - I have been looking for hours to find the virus chest - found it deeply buried in stats/component status - what a joke.And looked in the help for "chest" and found no reference whatsoever on how to open it.
To make things even worse, if RDP-ing to my PC, once in that "stats" window, I totally lose control -because of the frequency of screen updates for those "real time" gauges which choke the RDP protocol and bring the UI to a standstill.
It is Pro version what I have and I had "network" and "script" and "behavior" and "IM"  shields - all are gone after the automatic upgrade that I did not ask for - I am left with only "file" and "web" shields.
If I understand correctly these are no longer in the "pro" version but only available at a premium ?

I really need to downgrade or find a way to revert to the much better (imho) user interface of the previous version and get back the now missing shields - does anyone know if there is a way to chose the "classic" skin of the Avast UI?

Thanks

Rohugh

Re: Unsolicited update to Avast 2014 - nightmare
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
Your virus chest is a link at the bottom of the Scan section of the GUI - logical and not difficult to find.

The various shields have all been integrated into File. Mail and Web shields so you are still well covered.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Unsolicited update to Avast 2014 - nightmare
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
By "downgrading" you will be missing out on the latest technology.
I agree the GUI is a mess to navigate but once you get use to it, it's really not that bad.

As far as the "missing shields". they are all still there...http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB89#idt_09
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.