Author Topic: Avast plug-in for Firefox slows things down - can be disabled in Firefox  (Read 9204 times)

Offline glnz

The Avast Online Security plug-in in Firefox is bad - it causes good pages not to load correctly.  And it can be disabled.
See
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/982056
Avast - please run tests on Firefox to online.wsj.com and fix this.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

jwoods301

Re: Avast plug-in for Firefox slows things down - can be disabled in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:06:15 PM »
This is a known issue for IE and Chrome as well.

Do a search for AOS on the Avast Forum...there are several threads on this topic.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
The Avast Online Security plug-in in Firefox is bad - it causes good pages not to load correctly.  And it can be disabled.
See
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/982056
Avast - please run tests on Firefox to online.wsj.com and fix this.

Can you give some examples of the sites you have problems loading ?

Try checking the AOS plugin settings and see if any of the functions checked might impact on the sites you are trying to visit.

In the Do not track section - Block Social Networks could interact with some of the sites you are experiencing loading problems with.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline glnz

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:48:24 AM »
David R - Thanks for replying.

But it's up to the Avast team to fix this problem.  The Avast plug-in for Firefox has a dramatically detrimental effect on
online.wsj.com
and almost as bad on
www.nytimes.com.

I tested my Firefox add-ons one by one, and the problem was NOT caused by NoScript or AdBlock.  The Mozilla folks recommended I turn off the Avast plug-in and advised it would NOT disable the virus protection.  Voila!  Problem fixed.

And, per comments above, others have noted the same issue.

Also, I did not find a settings screen like the one you show in your post above.  In one of my settings screens, two similar items were already off.

Down to you and the Avast team to check and fix.

Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:52:15 AM by glnz »
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 01:58:03 AM »
No matter whose responsibility it is to fix, do you want to wait for it to get fixed or see if changing the settings or disabling the AOS will be a workaround until then.

The online.wsj.com home page loaded almost instantly. But, yes the wsj.com is very slow when choosing articles/links from that page even with the items in the Do Not Track section unchecked. So I would try disabling the AOS add-on in firefox.

What other security based add-ons do you have installed or ones that might interact with the avast online security add-on ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline glnz

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »
David R - Please slow down and read this thread again.

I have already turned off the AOS plug-in in Firefox after confirming it is the sole cause of bad loading of wsj pages on Firefox.  I don't see the setting options in your png, and in any case, basta!

Avast's feature here, whatever it is, is not working well enough.

Please let us all know when it's fixed.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »
I can't inform you when it is fixed, I don't work for avast! software, I'm an avast user just like yourself, trying to help other avast users where possible.