Author Topic: Annoying Avast popups  (Read 15597 times)

Offline wooferdog

Annoying Avast popups
« on: December 21, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »
Hi,

I am wondering, is there any way to remove the Avast advertisements that pop up in the bottom-right corner? I tried going into Settings>Appearance>Popups to change the timeslots for each of the four popups, but I still notice annoying Christmas specials and other notices that last well over the allotted time I've set for popups to appear.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Annoying Avast popups
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
There is a current bug whereby the update notification is showing the wrong popup.  This does not appear to happen on all systems, as I am unaffected but, it is being worked on I believe

Tasey3

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
Yes! I just joined the forum to see if there was a fix for this. The whole reason I've used Avast for so long is because it hasn't been co-dependent like most anti-virus software. I hope it goes back to hiding in the tray like a good little program :P
Once or twice I could understand, but it's shoving the Christmas special thing in my face every time I boot up my computer. Which is way too much. I hope it gets fixed soon!

Offline wooferdog

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
I get the Christmas/special popups every time I boot up my system as well, and continue to pop up throughout the day. They've been around for a couple months now, but are getting increasingly repetitive to deal with. I update the Avast program itself on a frequent basis, and of yesterday, the popups have stayed the same... there doesn't appear to be any way to turn them off. The free version is already stripped of enough features, it doesn't need 'dumbed down' by these ads.

Running Windows 7 64bit.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 12:06:51 AM by Double »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:11:07 AM »
I get the Christmas/special popups every time I boot up my system as well, and continue to pop up throughout the day. They've been around for a couple months now, but are getting increasingly repetitive to deal with. I update the Avast program itself on a frequent basis, and of yesterday, the popups have stayed the same... there doesn't appear to be any way to turn them off. The free version is already stripped of enough features, it doesn't need 'dumbed down' by these ads.

Running Windows 7 64bit.

The bug is ads appear instead of the VPS update (virus update notification). So when you boot your PC, you're actually getting a VPS update. To stop the ads until the bug has gone, you need to disable the update notifications and sounds through the avast! settings.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

NoelC

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »
It turns out that's not a half-bad workaround. 

Getting an interruptive verbal "Avast! Virus Database Has Been Updated" announcement is kind of neat - for a while.  Having turned it off to avoid these ad pop-ups, I find my computing experience has been a bit more peaceful today (and without ads!).  I have always trusted Avast's updates anyway, so not hearing about every one of them going in doesn't really make a difference in what I do.

-Noel

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

Running Windows 7 64bit.

The bug is ads appear instead of the VPS update (virus update notification). So when you boot your PC, you're actually getting a VPS update. To stop the ads until the bug has gone, you need to disable the update notifications and sounds through the avast! settings.

No need to specifically disable sounds, if you have unchecked the auto update notification popup, there will be no sound, as it is the popup that triggers the voice over.

You need to uncheck the Show notification box after automatic update (avastUI > Settings > Update - scroll down to details).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NoelC

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:50:23 AM »
Yes, that's what I did.  Sorry for any confusion with the sound settings.

-Noel

hake

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
If an important error should arise, does Avast present a popup with a Christmas offer?

Does the problem which is under question in this thread also apply to error notifications?  If that is the case, I would say that is altogether more serious than mere irritation of an oddly worded update notification.   :o

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »
Only the vps update pop-ups are affected. The other pop-ups are unaffected. 
I wish avast would hurry with a fix for this.  ::)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

NoelC

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
If an important error should arise, does Avast present a popup with a Christmas offer?
Great question.  Unfortunately I'm a bit averse to actually seeking out a virus to test it with.  :)

-Noel

Offline jacal

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 02:03:36 AM »
This is not "a current bug" and we all now that. If a "leading AV company" is not capable of removing a "bug", "accidentally" displaying commercials for their own products, why would anyone trust this program. Sorry, but this is the time to buy something else.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:37 AM »
This is not "a current bug" and we all now that. If a "leading AV company" is not capable of removing a "bug", "accidentally" displaying commercials for their own products, why would anyone trust this program. Sorry, but this is the time to buy something else.

An ad does not affect the functionality of the program.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Randissimo

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »
Where did my posting with the eicar file testing go?
If anyone is concerned to whether an AV would work correctly despite giving a wrong message, you could also use
the eicar test to see it for yourself and the update logs or the streaming/update history whether the product has been updated or not.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:17:19 AM by Randissimo »

waking

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
If anyone is concerned to whether an AV would work correctly despite giving a wrong message, you could also use
the eicar test to see it for yourself

As described in these avast! FAQs:

avast! 2014: Testing whether avast! 2014 is protecting your computer against malware
http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB32#artTitle

avast! 2014: Checking whether avast! 2014 is installed, up to date, and protecting your computer
http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB34#artTitle