Author Topic: Avast aborted connection  (Read 28868 times)

CooloutAC

Avast aborted connection
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
So i was afk from my computer for a few hours, it was just playing music.  When i went back to it, Avast was advising to me abort connection on a file my computer was attempting to download, because it had a poor reputation due to no users in community using it.   It looked like some MS update that I'm thinking was probably bogus.  It was an HTTP site.  Something about amdelta something.  It was way too long to remember I should of have wrote it down.   I had no browser open,  this is very strange and I'm wondering if my computer has been taken over.

Is there a logfile or someway to  view the history to identify this file or site that was aborted? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast aborted connection
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
if you have not rebooted since it happend, right click avast tray icon by the clock and ....show last popup
click the pin in top right corner to make it stay on screen .... you may post/attach a screenshot here

CooloutAC

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »
dam,  i haven't rebooted, but show last popup icon is greyed out.    I'm extra worried because i had 3 computers fried in my house a couple weeks ago all within 3 days of each other.   I have problems every year around this time.

I'm on a fresh format for a couple months,  but i've been feeling something has been up the past couple days.  I feel like this confirms it for me.   But to format my pc takes forever and i always worry it will break my hdd.  :(  And whats to say I don't get compromised again in a few months.   I mean I try to keep my pc secure as best I know,  but these guys hack banks what am I supposed to do to stop them, they have no life.  And people are worried about the NSA?   I feel like abandoning the pc soon like most americans.  And just getting an xbox and using my phone.  I might get spied on more,  but its a hell of alot cheaper.

I actually always block all HTTP,  which can be tedious sometimes,  but it just so happens when i took my nap I didn't have HTTP blocked for some dumb reason.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:08:27 PM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:07:25 PM »
Have you ran a scan with Avast and Malwarebytes?

That will rule out infection.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

CooloutAC

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
Yes i have, with both.   I even selected under full scan options in avast,   the full rootkit scan.

The head of IAD for the NSA says there is a million new viruses made every single month,  and they don't stay in the wild long.  I think its almost impossible for these avs's to keep up.

Every dam year at this time,  the exploit kits must go on sale or something.  Its beginning to be a joke.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:11:38 PM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:10:37 PM »
Then you're most likely not infected. Why are you worrying?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

CooloutAC

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:12:28 PM »

did you read anything I have posted?

I get hacked every year around this time from november to january.    read above about what the head of IAD has said.

Would you be paranoid about hackers when you get threats,  and all the computers in your house die the same week?  Most Americans don't use their computers anymore man.  They just go on facebook and twitter with their phones.

Its naive for people to worry about the NSA  when there are so many people in the world who, minus prism,  have the same abilities or can hire them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:14:59 PM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »

Yes, I did.

CooloutAC

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 10:16:26 PM »

Yes, I did.

get hacked every year around this time from november to january.    read above about what the head of IAD has said.

Would you be paranoid about hackers when you get threats,  and all the computers in your house die the same week?  two desktops and a laptop.   Most Americans don't use their computers anymore man.  They just go on facebook and twitter with their phones,  because their computers are virused to $#@!

Its naive for people to worry about the NSA  when there are so many people in the world who, minus prism mass collection,  have the same hacking abilities or can easily hire them.

How can you not find that popup suspicious dude?  I wish i could live in bliss like that.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:18:13 PM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
The popup that told you to abort the question was most likely a file has a "poor reputation" meaning it's unknown to Avast (not in signatures). That does not mean it is Malware.

CooloutAC

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
The popup that told you to abort the question was most likely a file has a "poor reputation" meaning it's unknown to Avast (not in signatures). That does not mean it is Malware.

lol this is why we are all screwed.    First off,  i was not downloading any file.  I wasn't even using my computer I was afk and it was idle.    It was supposedly HTTP and I didn't even have a browser open.   the mysterious site also looked strange and bogus as hell.     I guess next time i'll have to remember to screenshot it.  I really wish avast logged this so I could investigate it.   What a dam shame.

I'd have to assume someone like you  prolly lives with alot of  viruses you just don't know about because mbam and avast can't identify them... The head of IAD says her phone is probably hacked because we can't trust our ISP's to protect us.  And now their is a bill in congress saying we should let them handle it instead of the NSA, People who would give their life for us,     what a joke.

The pc industry is dying for a reason, and its not because people aren't smart enough use them.  Oh quite the contrary friend.  Us Americans just know better.

These are the barbarian times of the internet and its only going to get worse.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:30:11 PM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
Well, I'm sure I don't.

Do you use any P2P such as Skype or Utorrent?

Even if I were to be infected, I keep regular weekly backups of my PC so I can revert back.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
1) It was probably a file shield warning and not the web shield.
    The file shield uses both definition and reputation based detections.
2) How do you know that you were hacked?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

CooloutAC

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
1) It was probably a file shield warning and not the web shield.
    The file shield uses both definition and reputation based detections.
2) How do you know that you were hacked?  ???

Well maybe your right,  but regardless,  I wasn't downloading any file!!!   and Why would it show a strange looking HTTP site ?    How the hell does avast not have a log for this?  What program was attempting the connection!?!?

thats not a red flag for you?  How do i know I was hacked? haha  Thats what I'm trying to find it.   As an american of course i'm paranoid.    I  just had all the pcs in this house fry in the same week?  I play alot of video games online, download torrents, go to social media sites.  My family browses the web,  we all use many programs.    If you tell me to stop doing these things,  then I'll say your taking away my freedoms more then the NSA and its no wonder the pc industry is spiraling into the pits.  Why own one?

Lets just say i've  noticed some anomalies the past couple days,  and I can include this one now too.

We all should be assuming we are hacked,   that is how security works nowadays.   Not prevention,  but more detection.  Assume your pc is hacked already.

Is there a more advanced heuristic scan I can do?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:40:38 PM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
You can try a scan with HitMan Pro.