Author Topic: Avast aborted connection  (Read 29023 times)

CooloutAC

Re: Avast aborted connection
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2013, 02:10:11 AM »
as far as that mysterious update for MSE.   a manual update showed nothing, and windows update showed nothing.

Maybe mcafee is the only one thats correct!

Here we go again, seriously...

It just determined it as suspicous...

The file you linked to download is you right click it for properties, you'll see it's an anti-malware update file...

I understand what it supposedly is. I came to the same conclusion with google.  But there is no way i'm downloading that file,  I linked what was in the avast logs.  I think maybe I should delete that from the forums i didn't realize it was a clickable and downloadable link, jeez thats my fault.

Supposedly avast blocked that connection....and  I'm telling you windows update showed no new updates for MSE,  and neither did MSE itself when I checked.     So either Avast didn't actually block it,  or its very suspicious imo indeed...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:11:49 AM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »
It suspicous whatever way you think of it but it is NOT Malware.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

CooloutAC

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2013, 02:15:06 AM »
It suspicous whatever way you think of it but it is NOT Malware.

how do you know?  Because it says windowsupdate.com?  lmao

You should change the link in your quote,  matter fact i'm also deleting my hijackthis info,  don't know what I was thinking...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:19:03 AM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2013, 02:20:49 AM »
1. It does not have malicous behavious
2. The file is digitally signed by Microsoft
3. I submitted it to Virustotal and none submitted it as malware. One came as suspicious and that was a false positive.

See image attached...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

CooloutAC

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2013, 02:21:54 AM »
1. It does not have malicous behavious
2. The file is digitally signed by Microsoft
3. I submitted it to Virustotal and none submitted it as malware. One came as suspicious and that was a false positive.

See image attached...

well according the avast popup,  it was not digitally signed.  which is another reason i went with the default advice to abort the connection.    MSE does use HTTP to update though,  which at the time i forgot and was also a red flag to me.  You'd think they would use https. or not http at all.

But regardless, 
And again,  I'm telling you when i went to manually update my MSE,  there was no new update...

I think i should see if MSE has a forum and bring up the topic there.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:26:24 AM by CooloutAC »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2013, 02:24:45 AM »
Here is the screenshot for the digital signature...

CooloutAC

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2013, 02:27:19 AM »
Here is the screenshot for the digital signature...

I'll take your word for it....  usually they look like this though don't they?
for example  wermgr.exe

Microsoft Corporation
Windows Problem Reporting
WerMgr
© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
WerMgr
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

I'm just telling you what the avast popup told me.   I wish I would of screenshot it.  and It has never happened before ever and i've been running these two for almost a year.  3 months on this fresh install.

I've posted the question at answers.microsoft.com.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:39:50 AM by CooloutAC »

CooloutAC

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »
Additional info from MS...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/am-delta-patch-mpcmdrunexe/da6630bc-07f7-4573-9a00-a53775880217?msgId=9f1d34a7-b407-4c31-9ca5-fed2743accb5

interesting thread...  Its no wonder those people are having issues since they are using windows xp which is extremely vulnerable, almost to the point its obsolete and unusable for most.  In fact i have seen the same exact issue on an xp machine.  Yes its one of the machines that eventually died in my house I believe due to a virus.  What those people are describing was one of the symptoms imo.  I've seen that exact issue on xp though, the MSE update hanging the pc and taking forever which should not happen at all.  Unlike windows 7, you can not identify all the process use when this occurs, it is unknown what is eating up the cpu resources when this happens because there is no way to identify it,  even with process explorer from sys internals I believe.

Here is the thread I have started on that site regarding my particular issue:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_updating/is-this-link-safe-and-related-to-mse/b9dc6281-af61-41de-a9b5-2d38ec1c9f2c

I myself feel I may have to abandon using pc's in the future.  Its just not worth the cost anymore with alternatives that are just as good and cheaper,  like phones,  game consoles and cheap netbooks.  so many viruses and malicious hackers out there its just not worth it anymore.   I don blame the ipad and phones.   I blame viruses and hackers, They are what is actually killing the industry and stalling our evolution and stifling our individual potential for true computing power.  Its depressing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:14:56 AM by CooloutAC »

REDACTED

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
This mess all seems connected somehow:
While my W10P HP Envy was browsing w/ Firefox, I turned on  Settings> Win Defender> LimPerScan,
and immediately received(attached JPG:) 3 Avast warnings (which stupidly prevents text capture for research >:() & browsing failed (refreshed browsers seem fine).
Ms is getting more stupid about signing its stuff, but I still aborted them.
Then, trying to 'remove the file', searching C:\ for "am_delta_", Windows Explorer found ONLY "background.js" which Notepad.exe indicates is from Blur by Abine Inc. (which I have used for several years.) but text search canNOT find that text in that file. :-[
Is there still/now a problem with Avast Premium and WDefender 'occasional scan',
or has someone tried to sneak in on Ms sloppiness again, or ...?
PS: This post's "Attach" tool GUI is poor(no att confirmation), & [Preview] of this post prevents attachment viewing, which makes Avast's 'error text capture prevention' all the more obnoxious.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:23:49 PM by jb0 »