Author Topic: Computer won't boot, last driver shown is avast, help please  (Read 4009 times)

DPJ3000

Computer won't boot, last driver shown is avast, help please
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
Yesterday, my computer crashed as I was using it and ever since then I have not been able to boot the computer normally or through safe mode. Before this happened, I was trying to do a full scan of my computer with avast and it just locked up, so I suspect I have been infected with a particularly nasty virus.

I found the thread containing the various fixes for people having a similar problem to mine, so I went ahead and made my own thread cause that one was quite large already.

When I boot up in safe mode, my computer only shows a black screen and the mouse. When the drivers load before starting safe mode, the last one listed is the avast driver like the person in the thread before.

My computer is an HP Probook 4535s laptop and I am running windows 7.  Unfortunately I am not sure whether I have 32 or 64 bit and now I can't even check because my computer can't boot up.

I have already tried the fixes that were in the beginning of the thread in order to give essexboy a txt file:  The windows iso dropbox link posted in the thread just leads to a 404 now, so I took both the 32 and 64 bit iso's from this website: http://techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/ I don't know if that is ok or works with the process essexboy suggested.  When I used rufus to put either the 32 or 64 bit windows 7 iso onto my flashdrive, everything came out alright.  However, when I booted my computer with windows on the flash drive, it never detected another operating system on my computer and even more oddly, I couldn't find the flash drive using the file browser on notepad either. The only new drive was given the letter X and titled BOOT, but it didn't have the same specs as my flashdrive (had smaller memory).  This happened both times, nothing changed if i loaded the 32 or 64 bit onto the flashdrive.  I am not incredibly software savvy, so maybe this wouldn't change anything anyway?  Perhaps I did this whole process wrong? Please help me out, and thank you for helping me and so many other people on here!

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: Computer won't boot, last driver shown is avast, help please
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 01:43:33 AM »
Edit: Essex has notified me that he will be offline from the 23rd to the 2nd I think. I will see if Twin can help you (Or someone else)

I do not recommend you trying other fixes, it can mess your machine up further.

Edit 2: So I've asked someone to help you. Since most are in thee UK it may be a good 6-8 hours before someone can help you.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:47:05 AM by alan1998 »
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

gen-hackman

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »
hello , I'll use google traduction with this page , i didn't traduce yet in english for the moment (I'm french) :, if you can do this , I'll see it tomorrow morning cause now it's late :)

sorry I'm tired....(if the links of the page don't work , paste them in your browser's adress bar)

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgen-hackman.purforum.com%2Ft16-pre_scan_pe
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:38:44 AM by g3n-h@ckm@n »

DPJ3000

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:52:05 AM »
Thanks for the help, y'all are too kind. Super responsive and helpful!

H@ckman, I would do what you have suggested, but I cannot boot my computer successfully.  I can't even get to an internet browser, so I cannot download the program you have linked.  Is there any way I could use that program without being able to successfully log into my computer?

gen-hackman

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:56:57 AM »
you are in another pc now not ?

DPJ3000

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:00:39 AM »
Sorry, I went to the link before you edited your post.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

gen-hackman

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 03:01:35 AM »
ok:)

sorry I didn't say to you that I edited my post ^^

it's possible I answer only tomorrow morning like I said before

sorry for my poor english it comes from the school(I'm 42 , but I had a good teacher ^^ ) and I ('m ?) never gone in an english land ^^
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:13:59 AM by g3n-h@ckm@n »

argus

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:22:19 AM »

Sorry I have not seen that g3n-h@ckm@ in this case.

I deleted my post ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:31:16 AM by argus »

DPJ3000

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
So I formatted my USB according to the directions that you gave me and booted my PC with it. 

Unfortunately the pre_scan is having some problems.  I have ran a scan of my hard drive twice now, and both times an error message has appeared in the middle of the scan. When I tried to do the scan for a third time, the program said that the version of windows I had was not 2000 or above and would not read my hard drive. This seemed very weird. On top of that, I restarted my computer in order to see if that would change anything, and now nothing appears when I boot from my USB except the wall-paper. I am going to reload the software onto my flashdrive when I wake up tomorrow and try this whole process again. I am quite sure I followed the directions in your link exactly, is there any configuration that I could have messed up in the process?  I'm getting kind of scared that my computer may have worse problems than just a virus.

Right around when all this started happening to my computer, it started to run the fan on full power incessantly for however long it was plugged into a charger and slowed down considerably.  I'm hoping this is still a virus problem, but I am not an expert whatsoever so I'm not sure what to think.

gen-hackman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
ok try with this

open OTL which is on the desktop

select in the window that opens, the windows' installation corresponding to patient folder (c: \ windows or d: \ windows or .....) click the windows folder then click "ok" (because If you don't clic the windows folder you'll have a message that it's "not windows 2000 target or later")

to the question Do you wish to load remote user profile (s) for scanning? => Yes

check the "Automatically Load All Remaining Users box? "And click OK

check everything on the left to "All" (tous)

copy and paste all this blue text under "Custom scan/fixes" (personnalization) , and click "analyze"

HKCU\Software
HKLM\Software
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor /s
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor /s
%Homedrive%\*
%Homedrive%\*.
%Userprofile%\*
%Userprofile%\*.
%Allusersprofile%\*
%Allusersprofile%\*.
%LocalAppData%\*
%LocalAppData%\*.
%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\*
%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\*.
%programFiles%\*
%programfiles%\Google\Desktop\Install /s
%programFiles%\*.
%Systemroot%\Installer\*.
%Systemroot%\Temp\*.exe /s
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\*.exe /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\*.in*
%systemroot%\Tasks\*
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.
%systemroot%\system32\Tasks\*
%systemroot%\system32\Tasks\*.
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sy* /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\config\*.exe /s
%Systemroot%\ServiceProfiles\*.exe /s
%systemroot%\system32\*.sys
dir %Homedrive%\* /S /A:L /C
msconfig
activex
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
wininit.exe
volsnap.sys
atapi.sys
ndis.sys
cdrom.sys
i8042prt.sys
iastor.sys
tdx.sys
netbt.sys
afd.sys
/md5stop
netsvcs
safebootminimal
safebootnetwork

Attach OTL.txt ans Extras.txt when it's ended
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:36:39 PM by g3n-h@ckm@n »

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »
If you guys wish, I can help you translate what g3n is trying to tell you to do in a little better english.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.