Author Topic: All shields automatically turned off after program upate!!!  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Anacunga

All shields automatically turned off after program upate!!!
« on: December 22, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Just did the update to 2014.9.0.2011 – and what do I see: a big red warning that I am unprotected and shields are turned off!!!

Looking at the details, only file system shield was turned on and mail and web shield was turned off in the first moment.

But after nosing arund in the program (checking version), also file shield was automatically turned off ..

What the hell is that???

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: All shields automatically turned off after program upate!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
Is it working now?

If not:

Try a clean install..

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
Sorry, but how crazy is that??? You tell me in fact not to use the built-in updater and not to click on "UPDATE" inside avast (to update from 2014.9.0.2008 to 2014.9.0.2011) but to first uninstall and then reinstall the whole bunch??? Are you serius or just kidding???

Sorry, but ...

Btw: I'd rather know a reason why that could happen and how to avoid it – and I consider it as a bug!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:56:20 PM »
Sometimes when upgrading, the files get corrupt.

That is what has happened to you.

You can consider this incident as "unlucky"

The only way to fix is a clean install...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »
Thanks for the info – but I don't consider that as "unlucky", but as "serious bug"!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »
Thanks for the info – but I don't consider that as "unlucky", but as "serious bug"!

Do you have MVPS host files?

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »
What do you mean with "have"?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:29:38 AM by Anacunga »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »
What do you mean with "have"?

Do you have MVPS host files was asked because it causes issues with avast! emergency update. If you don't know what it is, you won't have it.

NoelC

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »
That's a bit cart before the horse, Alikhan. 

More aptly put, Avast! update appears to require access to a web site the mvps maintainers perceive as a "parasite" web site and have blocked.  That's not just a bug but a design bug.

I fully agree with Anacunga:  If the Avast! updater causes an installation to corrupt itself - even given that it tries to access a blocked web site and fails - then there is a serious bug in the product.  I have experienced such a bug myself recently, and have had to uninstall and reinstall to restore operation.  My confidence, built over nearly a decade, in Avast is greatly shaken.

With computers nothing is about "luck", it's about robust - or not - design. 

It does no one any good to try to claim the concept of failure is normal and expected and based on luck.  With critical security software, the designers MUST NOT allow failure to happen!  The term "failsafe" is not new.

-Noel

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 02:05:06 AM »
The updating procedure from [insert version here] to 9.0.2011 does require the emergency updater to put all the relevant fixes in. If that doesn't work, most likely, the installation would not be successful/not working properly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:07:56 AM by Alikhan »

jwoods301

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
Just did the update to 2014.9.0.2011 – and what do I see: a big red warning that I am unprotected and shields are turned off!!!

Looking at the details, only file system shield was turned on and mail and web shield was turned off in the first moment.

But after nosing arund in the program (checking version), also file shield was automatically turned off ..

What the hell is that???

You might want to look at the logs of any other security program(s) you are using to see if one may have blocked the shields.

Also check your Windows event logs and see if there are any related errors, and the Avast setup log located in \Application Data\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs.

Offline Cast

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
With computers nothing is about "luck", it's about robust - or not - design. 

It does no one any good to try to claim the concept of failure is normal and expected and based on luck.  With critical security software, the designers MUST NOT allow failure to happen!  The term "failsafe" is not new.

-Noel

If it was a failure as you put it then every computer that has avast  installed on would behave the same, since that isnt the case and only the minority of the users using avast is having such issues then I would call it more of a conflict with something else, and since every computer is unique its not like each one will always go as smoothly as expected.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:47:34 AM by Cast »

NoelC

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
It's a DESIGN FAILURE plain and simple if a network problem results in Avast corrupting its installation.

It could verify hashes, etc. to determine that files have not been corrupted.  It could back out and fail safe if the update cannot be completed. 

Luck has nothing to do with this.  Network problems must be expected to happen.  There will NEVER be a time when you can 100% guarantee the ability to reach a web site on the other side of the world - or even at the other end of a LAN cable.

-Noel