Author Topic: java  (Read 28331 times)

kamulko

Re: java
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
Hi guys!  :) I think you are talking about the latest Development Kit.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:50:45 PM by Kamulko! »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 01:56:32 PM »
Kamulko!

I think 1.5.0_02 must be the latest version in your language as Umath mentioned because there is definitely a 1.5.0_03 version of JRE available, in English at least.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

kamulko

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »
Hi, Frank! Happy to find you again  :)

Maybe you are right but I tested it on the English site, as you can see  ??? . If I open my console, I can also choose the interface language of the panel... is a mistery... 8)

ADDED: please, can you check if your java is the beta version? The official current version is installed by default when you check for updates.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:16:03 PM by Kamulko! »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »
Hi Kamulko!

Seems to be a full version:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Java JRE is notorious for not recognising that an update is available: maybe that's the source of the mystery!

Regards,

FF

kamulko

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 02:27:33 PM »
Maybe we have the same version but the last 2 numbers after the "_" are the symbols of the different locations...  :P...  I say this because at this moment I checked the java package on my laptop (OS in en/us language). I surrender!  ;D

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »
That number's definitely the update number. Have you tried downloading the latest version and installing it over the old one?

Download the full package as the online install will perhaps not recognise that you need to update at all.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

This is what I normally do to force JRE to update.

Don't forget to check for the old version in Add/Remove because if it isn't removed it will still be a security vulnerability.

kamulko

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »
Thanks. I will try...  ;)

inconnu

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 02:56:12 PM »
Hi Kamulko,

I have the same version as FreewheelinFrank, Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_03-b07).   I've also heard the update checking from within Sun Java isn't always completely reliable, so I watch for updates and do it manually.

Maybe I'm going to more trouble than is necessary, but I also uninstall the old java, reboot, and then install the new.

kamulko

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 02:58:01 PM »
Nothing to do: uninstalled and re-installed: "You have the latest..."  ::)... I'm curious to know something about from the Sun guys!!!  ;D (we are posting at the same time and I see now your post. Thanks Inconnu). You are from France? Inconnu is the same as Unknown/Sconosciuto  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:59:54 PM by Kamulko! »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2005, 08:49:01 PM »
OK. I can't understand a thing now!  >:( Today updated my Java. But about screen is showing this as I understand old version, but update says "Up to date".  ??? I think I'll need to download it directly from website.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 08:54:36 PM by Ylap »

Umath

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 09:32:16 PM »
Hi Kamulko,

I have the same version as FreewheelinFrank, Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_03-b07).   I've also heard the update checking from within Sun Java isn't always completely reliable, so I watch for updates and do it manually.

Maybe I'm going to more trouble than is necessary, but I also uninstall the old java, reboot, and then install the new.

Me, too.  Finally, I've got a multi-language version, which shows the version as 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_03-b07) in my OS' language.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 09:46:15 PM »
Yep, manual update helps.  ;) But because of my stupid brain I've installed development kit, not runtime enviroment. So I had to remove sometrhing after that!  ;D Thanks god kit had runtime enviroment as standalone installation.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 09:49:57 PM by Ylap »

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 11:37:47 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.....and also to FF for giving me an easy explanation  of how to do it, I now have the new version and am back online so I must have done something right...... :)

Sometimes my silly questions turn out to be not so silly........ ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 11:52:36 PM »
Hello SUSZANNAH,

He is only silly, that never asks a question. And all of us on birth knew absolutely nothing. It is going to be very, very warm on this side of the North Sea.  :P

greetings,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

emma

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 03:18:37 AM »
I have read and read all of the above.  I wish I had been here when it was being hashed out.......but...
I am pretty sure I don't have the latest version.  Just intuition + things just happen to me.
I went to the download page FF referred to, but I saw several places of things to download and I didn't see the version # that he mentioned.

Could someone please point out not only what but where I should be clicking to get the lastest version.

Plus do I understand before installing the new one that I should uninstall the old one through the install/uninstall page?
Thanks