Author Topic: More of a General Question  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
More of a General Question
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »
Hey,

S I've been doing a lot more heavy gaming, and my CPU is/can get very hot (Upwards of 80+ Degress C). My Fan Speeds aren't maxed and I am hoping if someone knows how I cna make them turn faster? Any programs I can use while Gaming/Rendering/Recording? Thanks!
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: More of a General Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »
tried a google search?    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fanspeed+software

also look here   http://lists.thedatalist.com/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
Turning up fan speeds is only going to create noise and at those temperatures if the fans you have already aren't doing the job then you need to look at dissipating the heat in other ways, I don't know what tower case you have but gaming towers have a lot more venting holes for the heat to get out ( if it's an old or inexpensive tower you can drill extra holes in the top ), you can also add more or larger fans and even liquid cooling if your really thinking about getting serious but then you would also need a better tower to accommodate that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:48:58 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
Some simple things should probably be considered first.

Depends on what your CPU is and if 80c+ would be considered high/harmful, some have a high thermal tolerance ?
It could be that the heat sink needs to be removed the CPU and heat sink cleaned and good thermal paste applied.

This page gives specs for the i7 3770 and suggests its maximum temp is considerably more than 80c (105c) you mentioned.
http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Processor-%288M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz%29

As craigb suggests bigger fans move more air at lower speeds, but can be increased if required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »
I'm using a modified Dell XPS 8500. The GPU (Orginally a GT 630) has been upgraded to a Geforce GTX 760 DCII OC (OverClocked by Manufactuer). I'm using a standard Dell Mini-ATX MoBO. I'm reluctant to use Liquid Cooling as I've heard a lot of bad stories about it. As for the fans and HeatSink. I'll clean it out when everything is cool (Aka: after I go to bed and wake up the next morning).

Thanks!
VOLUNTEER

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
With your latest response, you indicate that this is the GPU (graphics card chip) and not the CPU (computer chip). Not that pretty much negates most of what has been said (certainly in my last post).

GPUs also tend to have a higher thermal range, so 80c might not be so critical. But it is certainly worth getting some compressed air and give the GPU Fan area a good blast (whilst the system is disconnected).

You might want to do a search (as I did to check out your CPU) for your graphics card as that could give you some useful information on its thermal ranges.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 12:56:30 AM »
My temperatures for my GPU never hit anything above 50C. On top of that, the card came with GPU-Z so I can tune my fans to turn faster. (Note: it will automatically do that if temperatures hit 60+).

It's just my CPU that is the issue. I'll look into some more options on cooling. However, I read a post that mentioned if you get anything other then the stock PU fan, you void the warranty? Can someone confirm that?
VOLUNTEER

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
It is just your last post confused me as you only gave information on your graphics card, that made me question if it is/was the GPU.

As my search on the CPU gave that like which seems to say 80c is within the thermal maximum.

Dell will say your warranty is invalidated if you pretty much do any hardware modification, considering you have already modified/upgraded the graphics card, you have already crossed that bridge. There is of course more risk of damage in changing the CPU cooler and fan.

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
Good Point. I talked to the Dell guys, they didn't mention that by upgrading I voided my warranty. They just gave me all these suggestions for upgrading.

So, Bigger Fan? Clean you the Fan/HeatSink on the Case + CPU.

Thanks,

If it wasn't clear, my GPU is fine in temp. I watched it last night stay at 29C while playing leightweight games (etc: Minecraft, Global Ops etc)
VOLUNTEER