Author Topic: Avast Apparently Unable to Find Chrome Browser  (Read 2144 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

b.a.freeman

  • Guest
Avast Apparently Unable to Find Chrome Browser
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
i had forgotten the settings password for my avast installation, which i had just updated, so i searched the forums and found "avastclear.exe."  i ran "avastclear.exe" to uninstall, then downloaded the 2014 Free version.  the installation and startup scan both ran just fine, but the Avast window that came up during the startup scan timed out and displayed the message "The content is temporarily unavailable, please try it again later."  there was also a message about having a problem with Google Chrome, but at the time, i didn't worry about it, because i thought that Avast was trying to launch Chrome (which i had already installed and which is up-to-date), and didn't make a note of the message.  after the startup scan finished with no problems found, i clicked on the "Register" button, and once again got the "content ... unavailable" message.

i figured i could put off registration until later and went to the settings page to create a new password (which i intend to back up this time!), but it told me that i need to connect to an Avast account ("AVAST! ACCOUNT STATUS:  NOT CONNECTED"), presenting me with a "Connect now" button.  when i press that button, i get the "loading..." message, followed by the "content ... unavailable" message.

i have tried looking inside the HKLM/SOFTWARE/AVAST Software/ regkey, but of course, access is denied, as it should be.  there is an Avast subkey under the Google key for version 9.0.2011.70, and the "Programs and Features" control panel shows version 9.0.2011, so they appear to match.  i suppose that the Chrome subkey could be left over from the installation i removed before re-installing, though.

i have Chrome installed in a non-standard location, but it used to work with Avast before i ran "avastclear.exe," so i'm not sure where to go from here.  does anybody have any ideas?

here's my machine (taken from systeminfo output):

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
System Manufacturer:       Acer     
System Model:              Aspire 5532     
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 15 Model 124 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~800 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Acer       V1.09, 11/30/2009
Windows Directory:         C:\Windows
System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Total Physical Memory:     2,812 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1,531 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  5,622 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 4,110 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    1,512 MB
Hotfix(s):                 252 Hotfix(s) Installed.
Network Card(s):           3 NIC(s) Installed.