Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death  (Read 12689 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »
Installation runs fine, setup runs fine. All without ZA, no probs.
No need to use a older version (and have lesser protection).
You may not even ZA. Many modems/routers already have a build in hardware firewall. Check if yours has one. If it has, there is no need for a software firewall.

freewindf

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
You may not even ZA. Many modems/routers already have a build in hardware firewall. Check if yours has one. If it has, there is no need for a software firewall.

This is right, but HW-FW in routers are most likly filtering incoming traffic and let outgoing through. This is were SW-FW came in place. You allow or disallow the traffic going outside. So both FW-models have there right.
I always use both.

But ZA is not the problem, it is Avast´s new version as stated earlier here. So I wanna use the latest before until an update is made even it has less protection.

panteraon

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 06:29:47 PM »
To hell with you! ;D I am tired to try launch my STRIFE game as a beta tester, even though i tried to setup file shield exclusions and restart file shield, while i do this manipulations AVAST freeze my system till i hard reset my PC. It is not a better way to release such unstable software like that second build, even more i am probably saw most crude version of this anti virus solution. The cost of loading windows with it is too high, system start up are slowed down by a huge amount of time, network lags (even though you rewrite old buggy Internet shield) NDIS wrapper or some other software driver which installed on my system with AVAST distribution is still poor. When i am navigating through setup menus AVAST often freeze, last freeze as i intended to write forced me to hard reset my PC. So i decided to remove AVAST Internet Security for a while and stay with Windows Defender+Windows Firewall+pfsense free bsd based distribution on my firewall small mini-ITX PC. Like a comodo IS premium or Avast IS it is a huge performance impact of using 3rd party AV programs compared to a simple windows default protection settings. At least i can launch my strife game which is in beta testing for now. Hopefully you coming soon with new build that can address this annoying issues, but i starting thinking about there is so many of them especially in the new interface that my hope it's just dying.

I using Malwarebytes Antimalware as a second design for cleaning my PC with Hitman Pro solution.

Really i wont risk my system now till the holidays are coming and i need my PC fully uptime and working for me....it would be even more risky to setup AVAST IS trial when such a problems like this are being reported by users whose used last build of the program. It is sad...winter time sadness  :P

panteraon

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »

This is right, but HW-FW in routers are most likly filtering incoming traffic and let outgoing through. This is were SW-FW came in place. You allow or disallow the traffic going outside. So both FW-models have there right.
I always use both.

But ZA is not the problem, it is Avast´s new version as stated earlier here. So I wanna use the latest before until an update is made even it has less protection.

Well some guys on the internet raised topic with 5 reasons to do not use 3rd. party software firewalls rather then using default windows firewall and it's all up to users, but i found that windows common protection is the best solution for me write now since it has best integration on the system level.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

jwoods301

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
For those that have been getting blue screens, this tool from NirSoft is helpful in determining what specifically caused it...

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Older versions of Avast can be downloaded at Filehorse.com

http://www.filehorse.com/download-avast-antivirus/old-versions/

I rolled an XP SP3 box back to 9.0.2008 and it is running with no issues.

freewindf

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
I rolled an XP SP3 box back to 9.0.2008 and it is running with no issues.

Same for me, 9.0.2008 is running fine.