Author Topic: DESPERATELY NEED HELP UNINSTALLING AVAST!!!  (Read 24468 times)

Name User

DESPERATELY NEED HELP UNINSTALLING AVAST!!!
« on: June 16, 2005, 11:14:24 AM »
After patiently trying to get help getting with my Avast free edition to stop requiring constant def stamp loading by clicking the program update button and waiting for it to finally connect, I have decided to try and uninstall it and use another program.

I went to Add or Remove, clicked uninstall, rebooted, deleted the residual Alwil folder, searched the registry for other pieces to remove, most of which I got an error message with saying they could not be removed.

These parts include:

Asynchronous Virus Monitor
Standard Shield Support
Network Shield Support
LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS

As you can imagine, this is very annoying for me to have these parts lingering, and not knowing how to remove them, or what conflicts they might cause with any other antivirus program when I install one.

Does Avast offer a special uninstall tool for their antivirus program? Should I reinstall Avast, then try to use Avast's uninstall utility rather than Add or Remove?

Spyros

Re: DESPERATELY NEED HELP UNINSTALLING AVAST!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:18:59 AM »
Does Avast offer a special uninstall tool for their antivirus program?
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Should I reinstall Avast, then try to use Avast's uninstall utility rather than Add or Remove?
If the uninstall utility doesn't work, re-install avast and follow the directions given at the above link.

Name User

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 11:37:27 AM »
I actually just did that, after doing a search for Avast uninstall utility.

I reinstalled Avast, used the default folder as always, downloaded the utility onto my desktop, clicked uninstall (it says remove in the instructions, which is wrong), rebooted after it said it had successfully uninstalled Avast 4 (including the registry).

It not only left the Awil folder in my Program Files folder, it left the same entries in the registry that were the problem mentioned above, which STILL WON'T manually remove from the registry.

It's bad enough that I went through a lot of aggravation with the constant def stamp downloading just to be able to get on the net, but now it won't even wipe off my drive? This !@#$%&* program acts more like a virus than a virus remover!

Spyros

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:57:31 AM »
I'm sorry that you're having problems with avast!, but this really isn't what usually happens. I have installed/uninstalled avast more than 10 times to try other AV's and never had any problems. Try removing Norton & Panda, then you'll see real trouble. I have uninstalled Panda a year ago, cleaned the registry, removed hidden Panda files and still security center recognizes 2 AV's & Firewalls on my system!

Now, try a decent registry cleaner & remove everything that has to do with avast. I recommend:
1. Go here: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html#jv16
2. Download JV16 (freeware)
3. Use the program's registry cleaner.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 12:01:13 PM »
I'd really say you should cool down a little.
What exactly were you trying to remove from the registry and what was the error message?

Name User

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:09:41 PM »
Spyros
Thanks, I just DLed it, I'll let you know if it works. I also emailed Avast's support team about this.

Igor,
Sorry if you think I'm too upset about this, but I have been really quite patient about this. If you'd take a look at the two full pages my last thread involved, I think you'd see why I'm upset. It got to the point where nobody could tell me why I'm still having to constantly update the Avast program to get the def stamp to load before, and often during surf sessions, and now this uninstall problem.

Fortunately I can think rationally enough even when upset to try to find other possible solutions. My anger is often what leads me to the right decisions, not the wrong ones, which I much prefer to stumbling along for months succumbing to something that's not working right for me. I'm not implying it doesn't work well for you or others, but obviously it's not working for me, for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:12:26 PM by Name User »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:47:50 PM »
It left the same entries in the registry that were the problem mentioned above, which STILL WON'T manually remove from the registry.
Calm down... this is a known problem with Windows Registry legacy keys.
You must delete one by one, from the bottom to the root key.
I mean, go to the values, one by one, delete it. When the key is empty you could delete it.

Take care working with your Registry and do not delete what you can't. Better is backing up the keys before.
The best things in life are free.

Name User

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 01:50:32 PM »
Spyros,
well I tried the jv16 Powertool, and at first I thought it was working to uninstall everything the registry would not, but all of the stuff I saw in the registry before is still there:

Asynchronous Virus Monitor
Standard Shield Support
Network Shield Support
LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS
avast! Antivirus
avast Web Scanner
LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS_WEB_SCANNER

There's actually a few others in there too I think. If and when I finally get this out of my system for good, I will absolutely NEVER install any Avast products again, be there name followed by ! or * or whatever!

God forbid the only solution to be formatting, because they will most certainly get an earfull in the email that follows if that is the case.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 01:55:59 PM »
Name User, did you follow my suggestion?
Are you using any other antivirus in this machine?

kamulko

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi.
Have you stopped and disabled the avast services in the Services Panel? Are you running XP? In this case, have you deactivated the System Restore? Tried to uninstall Avast in Safety Mode (hit F8 before the system start completely)?

Name User

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 02:03:02 PM »
Tech,
The entries shown below are the only two entries I see under LEGACY, in the order I've listed them. They each have a 0000 subfolder. If what you say is correct, I should be able to delete the subfolder for LEGACY_AVAST!_WEB_SCANNER, then LEGACY_AVAST!_WEB_SCANNER, then the subfolder for LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS, then LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS, which I just tried, and none of them would remove.

LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS
LEGACY_AVAST!_WEB_SCANNER

It appears I'll have to wait for Avast's email response on this, as I'm striking out on this issue as well as the def stamp loading problem I had before.

Name User

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 02:07:12 PM »
Name User, did you follow my suggestion?
Are you using any other antivirus in this machine?

Your suggestion being the advice to remove the LEGACY  keys from the bottom up? I don't see that post now, but yes I tried that, and no I'm not using any other antivirus. AVG was the one I used prior to this, and I not only uninstalled it before installing Avast, I removed it completely from the registry.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 02:07:43 PM »
I'm afraid you keep on repeating the same, but still failing to provide any useful information.
So, I ask again: what exactly are you trying to remove from registry? What is the FULL path... and what is the exact message you get when you try?

Additionally, I really don't understand the hystery about a few registry keys. To me, it seems like there's something rather "strange" about your system that prevents the keys from being removed - but still, what is the problem in having a few keys left? You have thousands of useless keys and values in your registry since the moment you install the OS... why would you want to format it? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 02:10:35 PM »
I'm talking about deleting FIRST the values, see the example under LEGACY_AVAST!_WEB_SCANNER.
After the 'folder' is empty. Delete it.
It's not a problem of avast! It's a protection of Windows Registry Legacy drivers...

Delete the values, one by one, then delete the folder.

Name User

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 02:11:34 PM »
Hi.
Have you stopped and disabled the avast services in the Services Panel? Are you running XP? In this case, have you deactivated the System Restore? Tried to uninstall Avast in Safety Mode (hit F8 before the system start completely)?

What you are saying here seems to echo what some have said, at least in the sense of deactivating the Avast services, which I think you mean before uninstalling?

I don't know what you mean by uninstalling in safety mode and hitting F8 though, or what System Restore has to do with it.

Maybe the tech guys at Avast when they answer my email can put it in easier to understand terms. I've only been using a PC for about 4 yrs now.