Author Topic: Virus definition updates  (Read 1925 times)

Captain Wonderful

Virus definition updates
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
Two questions: When manually updating Avast, it says I already have the current version 140103-0. It is now after 10 pm Jan 4 MST. Is this correct? Also, the last week or so, automatic updates has stopped working, or works only sporadically. When I go to the update page, it says I have recently been updated, but at the top, the current version listed is out of date. Can anyone enlighten me?  ??? I have the latest version of Avast! installed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:29:58 AM by Captain Wonderful »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Virus definition updates
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »
The vps version compared to date are probably due to timezone differences, for the auto update issue you could try a repair of avast and see if that has any change.

olddog

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:50 AM »
Two questions: When manually updating Avast, it says I already have the current version 140103-0. It is now after 10 pm Jan 4 MST. Is this correct?

Yes, on Sunday 5/1/2014, at 16:26 here in South Australia, the current definition for 2014.09.0.2011 is 140103-0.

The  VPS definition updates for this version are not being issued on a fixed interval.  It seems that Avast now rely heavily on streaming lots of individual updates. At intervals, they then release a VPS update, which comprises all the streaming updates sent following the previous VPS update. So if you are using the streaming updates (the default), you will be getting the next VPS a bit at a time in advance.

The fact that the current version listed on the update page seems now always newer than the version that can be downloaded manually from within the 2014 program has been brought up a number of times.  I have no idea why Avast don't wait until a particular VPS update is actually on their servers, and can be manually downloaded by users, before they show it as current. That just confuses people.

Captain Wonderful

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
Ok, so no reason for concern I gather. Oh, and I did try the repair function before posting my question. Thanks very much olddog and craigb!