Author Topic: AVAST extension preventing IE8 logging into Hotmail  (Read 19291 times)

tjharring

AVAST extension preventing IE8 logging into Hotmail
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
My wife's computer at home is running Windows XP SP3, Avast 2014. When she tries to login to Hotmail using IE8 she sees the following,

<body onload="javascript;rd();"

If I go into tools menu in IE8 and select manage addons, then deactivate "avast! Online security" she is than able to login to Hotmail. If she uses Firefox she has no problem, only with IE.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 04:26:41 PM by tjharring »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: AVAST extension preventing IE8 logging into Hotmail
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
Are you using the latest version of avast? v2014.9.0.2011?

Also there is a known issue with AOS and IE.
My suggestion is to disable it.
I hase the AOS disabled in each of my browsers.
I use PrivDog instead.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

tjharring

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
I am not sure of Avast version. I will check tonight when I get home.

tjharring

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:20:32 AM »
The version on the system is 2014.9.0.2011

alvacomptech

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
Same problem here with WIN XP PRO SP3 and IE8: disabling Avast Online Security in Tools/ Add-ons stops it and I can then access Outlook e-mails; BUT, I want AOS to run. I have seen the protection it gives from questionable web sites! Somebody needs to fix this problem, either Avast! or Microsoft! Avast! is my best friend!! :-\

FBTHFL

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »
I was watching this thread on the MS Forums ... It seems to come down to the Avast! Toolbar and its services.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/internet-explorer-wont-access-hotmail/df182561-4776-48f3-97ef-f8717b4920a2

Right clicking on the Avast! Toolbar Icon in Windows 8 (64bit) / Internet Explorer 10 to Disable the Avast! Toolbar worked and I can use my Hotmail. (Merci, John).  Doing so indicated that the services listed would be disabled. The list was composed of multiple ( three ) instances  of "avast! Online Security" . I am wondering if the service is reloading multiple time and getting confused or consuming multiple resources?  Nonetheless, it appears to be a avast! issue so I will switching over to their support site.  Thanks All !

NOTE: Using the Avast! SafeZone option is also a workaround for now.

PCMan

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
INOTE: Using the Avast! SafeZone option is also a workaround for now.

But how long before the issue is fixed? Or do I have to find another anti-virus etc provider. Not impressed by this... >:(

Offline OndraM

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »
Sorry, this is a major fail on our side. We will fix it and try to deliver emergency update as soon as possible.

Offline OndraM

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »
We prepared the fix today and there should be an Avast update next week delivering it. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

simon1046

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »
 >:(

This is not good enough. I have to email a dissertation assignment by monday and you are preventing me from doing it. I am v angry and will stop using your systems if not sorted by tomorrow. It is crap and you are causing me a lot of concern.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
As written in the first post - you can disable the Online Security plugin in IE configuration.

alvacomptech

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
Thanks, Avast! Got the update and it's working fine!

olivervoutat

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
We have a similar problem with our web site. https://www.e-assura.ch/

We know that we are as big as Hotmail but a lot of our 100 k customers are having trouble logging in our web site using Internet Explorer and Avast.

Tested Avast last version, updated today, software and definitions. Tested IE8 and IE10.

In fact, it is blocking our JavaScript. It is used to do login in the website and make some "show / hide" fields in the page.

Example: in the login page in french (fr), the link "Mot de passe et/ou nom d'utilisateur perdu?" should hide some fields and show others. Instead, a javascript error alert shows up.

Strangely if after the first page load I do F5, everything works fine again. It is always the first page load that is not working.

When disabling the avast extension in IE, it works fine always.

Tried to add it to Exclusions too, but no luck at all. (When I add it, it doesn't accept with the https?!)

A customer indicated another web site where she had problems too. I tested and saw it in action. https://www.olx.ch/

Please, please, say that you have a easy solution for it  :'(

Offline OndraM

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
We are looking at it and I will get back to you once we figure out where the problem is.

If it is a problem on our side, we will provide a fix, but we probably will not be able to deliver it before March. ;-(

olivervoutat

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:39:28 AM »
Thank you for your reply. We will review our code to view if there is nothing that we can do.

The only other thing that caused this to our web site was the malware "Price peep".