Author Topic: Avast 8...no Memory Scan ?  (Read 2167 times)

thekochs

Avast 8...no Memory Scan ?
« on: December 26, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
Hopefully quick/easy question......I noticed on one of my home PCs the "Memory Scan" option is not listed....on all other V8 it is.
I'm running 8.0.1497 on all of the PCs.....is there somewhere in the Settings that suppresses scanner options ?

Thx.

thekochs

Re: Avast 8...no Memory Scan ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:07:54 AM »
No quick easy answer ?  I'm guessing I have something "unchecked" somewhere on the one PC.  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 01:54:20 AM »
I can't speak for avast version 8.0 as I no longer have it installed, but that was certainly a part of the Quick and Full System Scans, see attached image of the Scan Now listing. Personally I would be looking at getting the latest avast version.

For avast 2014 9.0.2011
It isn't listed in the Quick scan settings, but it is in the Full System Scan.

I suggest that you don't modify the default Quick and Full System Scans, but create your own Custom scan.

I would also warn that doing a full memory scan (unlike that in the Full System Scan) is very likely to return some strange/unexpected results. You only have to browse the viruses and worms forum to see that.

As one of the senior avast team members has stated in the past, if there is a virus in memory, it is a bit late.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

thekochs

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 02:55:37 AM »
Personally I would be looking at getting the latest avast version.

I have many PCs to upgrade and I have stayed back on V8 until V9 is more stable.
I've been reading this Forum (always do before major software re-writes) and glad I did.
Great Forum and folks.....but I do not have the time to debug V9.....2014 scares me to death.
I went thru the AVG V8 to V9 fiasco that bricked thousands of PCs....this is when I came to Avast.
There are some show-stoppers for me in V9.....here is just one: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140354.0