Author Topic: Firefox add-on questions  (Read 5186 times)

js10

Firefox add-on questions
« on: October 30, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
Hi.  I just purchased Avast! a few days ago, and have some new-user questions, particularly regarding the Firefox add-on (Avast Online Security 9.0...).

1.  Quite simply, does the virus-protection itself work without this add-on?  Or is it just an extra that warns you about sites. etc.?

2.  On that subject, what does "this site has a bad reputation" mean?  Does that imply that the site is actually dangerous (as in harmful to your computer), or just a disreputable company, that kind of thing?

3.  About the little button on the right side of the toolbar (with the green Avast! logo on it), I don't understand what the number on it represents.  What does it mean when it says that 3 companies (or whatever) tried to track me?  And tried to track me since when?  Since I last opened the browser?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Firefox add-on questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »
Hello js10

Answers:

1) I have been using Avast since version 7 release. It's virus protection system is really the best of the best. Avast Online Security 9.0 add-on for firefox, chrome, and IE simply protects users against malicious website trying to install malware and etc. I don't use firefox anymore only Chrome, you can uninstall Avast Online Security 9.0, but it's recommended not to. Simply put if you accidentally visit a malicious site or a imposter being a legit site and you can infected with malware. So it's best not to uninstall the add-on.

2) I am not an IT expert. According to what I know, reputation was introduced in Avast 7. Read this http://www.pcworld.com/article/250533/avast_free_antivirus_7_adds_cloud_updates_file_reputation_and_remote_assistance.html

3) Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Track_Policy and http://www.cookielaw.org/do-not-track/

I hope this information will help you!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:36:46 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

KNRover

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »
I was recently updated to Avast! 2014.9.0.2011, the latest version. My default browser is Firefox, and upon using it after the update, it asked if I wanted to allow Avast! to install an "avast online security" add-on. Because I've used Avast! for so long and generally trust it, I said 'yes'.

Mistake!! Sometime after installing it, I wanted to look at the NFL schedule. When that page opens, I get a pop-up about a script wanting to run and do I want to continue or not. I select 'continue', and Firefox freezes (not responding). This NEVER happens when using IE (11), but does every time I use Firefox. Since I have only 3 Firefox add-on extensions, I figured the culprit for this problem must be the Avast! add-on, so disabled it and tried the NFL site again. Worked perfectly.

Bottom line: Avast's online security add-on is either flawed or has compatibility problems with the newest version (26) of Firefox. So if you have the latest FF version, DISABLE the Avast! add-on.

funk31

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
Avast crashes FirefoxFlash plugin almost everyday. Best rated antiviruses like Bitdefender&Avast always having this problem ??

Alievitan

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:38:23 AM »
1.  Quite simply, does the virus-protection itself work without this add-on?  Or is it just an extra that warns you about sites. etc.?

Yes, Avast works without the addon. 

2.  On that subject, what does "this site has a bad reputation" mean? 

Avast calculates taking into account votes by the community and various security sources for example blocking known phishing sites.  I am not sure how the algorithm works, how much community votes or other sources weigh, but basically don't visit unless you know what you are doing.  I believe a website could be rated "bad" based on questionable content and not necessarily on security, but don't quote me on that b/c a lot of times questionable content and bad security go hand and hand.   

3. What does it mean when it says that 3 companies (or whatever) tried to track me? 

I believe the number is on whatever url you are on.  Almost every site tries to track you and use analytics in multiple ways so it is no biggie. 

If you have problems with the Avast addon you can alternatively use
For Firefox & Chrome :  My Wot addon + Adblock Plus addon (subscribe to Easy Privacy Filter, have "allow non some intrusive" option checked off) to get about the same effect.  I prefer this setup over the Avast addon myself.