Author Topic: Me too can't boot Vista. Stops on aswRvrt.sys trying to start in safe mode.  (Read 11550 times)

lltrazom

Hello as some other people I too am having problems booting Vista 32 bit since this morning and my PC is hanging at aswrvrt.sys in Normal and Safe Boot.  >:(

I have been following the instructions found in your forum up to the FRST.txt stage and was hoping somebody could arrange a fixlist.txt for me (I'll do itmyself if someone can provide directions or where and what to read). I attach my FRST.txt.

Also indications/suggestions/hints about potential cause(s) would be interesting for future reference.

I'm here to fill in any missing information

Thanks in advance  :)

jwoods301

There is a solution from a thread from April...

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/329127-aswrvrt-i-cant-boot/

lltrazom

Hi jwoods301,

I found earlier the thread but I stopped as I understood that the fixlist.txt prepared by essexboy, and more in generaleach fixlist.txt, is tailored to solve issues tied to a specific single PC and that you cannot use one prepared for a different machine.

But perhaps I misunderstood and that such file and directions can be used by anybody.

Also, I cannot see how to download the [attachment=64184:fixlist.txt] file, but that may depend on the fact that I don't have an account (and therefore I'm not logged) into geekstogo.com forum...

Are you confident and can you please just confirm me to proceed using the very same files of the thread ?

Thanks in advance

jwoods301

Unfortunately, I can't validate someone elses solution...

You may wish to create a bootable CD/DVD, boot from that, get to a command prompt, and remove the offending file.

If you are not comfortable doing that, you might PM "essexboy" and get the solution directly from him.

lltrazom

Hi jwoods301,

my issue is just that I'm not sure what file(s) I should remove; if just aswrvrt.sys (or not at all) and/or others files as well.

I'll therefore follow your suggestion and will try to PM essexboy; if I won't get a reply (I fear he may be away from his PC in these days) I'll try to handle the matter on my own.

Thanks in any case for your help

lltrazom

Hi,

it appears I can't send PMs to anybody ("You are not allowed to send personal messages"), so I can't follow received suggestion to directly contact essexboy.

Can someone please explain me why not, or if instead it's possible, how to do it ?

olddog

it appears I can't send PMs to anybody ("You are not allowed to send personal messages"), so I can't follow received suggestion to directly contact essexboy.

Can someone please explain me why not, or if instead it's possible, how to do it ?

Hi,
I think you have to reach a given number of posts before you can send PM's (protects the forum).
I've sent a PM to essexboy and asked him to look at this thread.

lltrazom

Many thanks olddog,

for both the explanation and the message !

lltrazom

Hi everybody,

so far (as I quite expected, given its signature) I got  no reply from essexboy and I still can't boot my PC.

Before I start renaming/erasing asw* files in Windows\System32\drivers dir is there anyone which can offer me some additional suggestion/direction ?

Thanks in advance

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
Hello lltrazom,

I'll help you. Now I'm looking your logs. I'll prepare a fix for you.

Sorry for my bad English, if you do not understand me don't hesitate to ask me again.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Essexboy is offline until the 2nd of January so I'll see if someone else is available to look into this for you.

Andrey,pro found you first :)

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
lltrazom,

try this fix. Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Run FRST as before and press fix
On completion try a reboot to normal windows.

lltrazom

Hi Andrey,pro,

first of all many thanks for your help.

I did as you asked.

Asw* files are now gone but booting is still impossible in both normal and safe mode.

I attach fixlog.txt and the new frst.txt, since I run it once more.

I remain at your disposal

P.S. By the way your english is OK and can't be worse than mine...

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
Well, the next step we are going to check the validity of the windows files

Select command prompt
Type in the following command :
Code: [Select]
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows
Once completed then retry a normal start.

lltrazom

Hi,

I got the following reply from your suggested command (applied to d: drive as for c: it wouldn't work):

"... Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.Details are included in the CBS.log..."

I don't know how to attach a version of the CBS.log obtained (it's 43Mb and even zipped [format in any case not allowed] is bigger than allowed max attachment size)

Thanks again