Author Topic: "i" icon has disappeared from taskbar  (Read 17251 times)

JE

"i" icon has disappeared from taskbar
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:05:26 PM »
This icon is somehow gone.  How do I get it back?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "i" icon has disappeared from taskbar
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 08:08:02 PM »
Oopss... Ylap is right, I mess the 'a' icon with the 'i' icon that should be merged.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 08:46:43 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 08:33:49 PM »
Maybe you have merged it with main avast icon? a ball is shown on your taskbar or not?

JE

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 08:39:36 PM »
I clicked on "Control" in your signature, downloaded that little program, did what you suggested and it is now back.  Thank you very much!

Maybe I unknowingly merged it with the "a" icon.  If that is what happened, is there a way to get it back from there?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 09:59:16 PM »
Now I think it wasn't merged if the tool helped.  :) But good for you. And you can try to merge it, it's completelly harmless. Look at these screenshots. Good luck using avast!  ;D

prioryone

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »
Having spent the last 30 minutes studying posts and searching on the curse of the missing VRDB icon, I am also suffering from this strange phenomenon.

I even looked at the screenshot which was posted by YLAP in June, 2005 and when I right click on my Avast icon I do not have anything at all relating to VRDB.

I did have the two icons when I installed Avast! and, as far as I know, apart from the usual scans, nothing has changed on my pc to make this icon disappear.

I even made sure I checked "customize notifications" to make quite sure it wasn't hidden.

I did not merge the "!" and the "a" when perhaps I should have done?

Maybe I missed something in the various posts on this subject. If I did, I apologise in advance.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »
Having spent the last 30 minutes studying posts and searching on the curse of the missing VRDB icon
Will this help? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14356.msg121337#msg121337
Edited... sorry, this is its own thread  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:47:48 PM by Tech »

prioryone

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 04:30:31 PM »
Tech, that was the posting by YLAP I refer to.

When I right click on my Avast! icon the VRDB settings under updating is not there anymore!  :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:49:10 PM »
When I right click on my Avast! icon the VRDB settings under updating is not there anymore!  :-[
Do you mean that when you right click the 'a' icon, the VRDB menu is not there?  ???

prioryone

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:55:54 PM »
Yes Tech, exactly right!

The "i" icon disappeared when I booted this morning.

I checked "customise notifications" to check is wasn't hidden and when I right clicked on the "a" all references to VRDB had gone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »
The "i" icon disappeared when I booted this morning.
I checked "customise notifications" to check is wasn't hidden and when I right clicked on the "a" all references to VRDB had gone.
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

Also, if you click 'Settings' in my signature and browse for the [VRDB] section, comparing it to your own, will you discover anything strange in the avast4.ini file?

prioryone

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
OK Tech, I did the first part of your suggestion.

I repaired, re-booted and I have it back!

The question now is do I merge it with the "a" so I have settings permanently or leave it separate?

I did not proceed with the settings in your signature - do I need to do this also?

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
The question now is do I merge it with the "a" so I have settings permanently or leave it separate?
Well, the choice is yours  ;D
I personally prefer them to be merged, this way the tray menu is more clear  ::)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »
Since the ' i ' icon would be infrequently used it makes sense to merge the two avast icons. Right click the ' i ' icon and there should be an option to merge the icons.

When the VRDB is running (depending on your settings) the icon will break out and rotate whilst working, when complete it will merge again, so no real lose there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

prioryone

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 07:16:59 PM »
I have merged, as suggested by the two recent postings, and now I have the settings as shown on the DavidR screen shot - "Generate VDRB only when screen-saver is running."

It looks like it does this by default?

Hopefully, all is well now - and thank you!

Sorry for the delay in getting back - this country's telecommunications system failed as it does every summer when the tourists visit these sunny Spanish costas!!  :D

Could be worse - I could be getting rained on at The Oval!