Author Topic: Avast Has Encountered A Problem and needs to close.  (Read 5729 times)

Furchee

Avast Has Encountered A Problem and needs to close.
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
Well!

After about 20 restarts and removals/uninstalls/cleans of Avast I still get this issue.
Let me explain what I've done and what I get after all the work :

I've installed Avast at an early point in time. (Probably 2010 or earlier) and it's worked flawlessly up until the recent 2014 update.
I run Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition and run the 2013 version of Avast perfectly fine. As soon as I use the program to update, the next boot instantly gets me to a "Avast Has Encountered A Problem and needs to close" window. No details on what the issue is, no help - nothing.
So naturally after this I used ALL the tools to remove it (both types) and found the newest 2014.9.0.2011 on here and installed that.
It worked fine !!!! --- Up until I restarted my machine. Then I was back to the lovely "Avast Has Encountered A Problem and needs to close" window.
I haven't the slightest idea as to why this is happening and it's fairly annoying. I've tried googling it to find solution threads / forums / sites but avast (pardon the pun), I've found nothing that helps. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

And YES, I've tried builds 2014.9.0.2010 -09, 08 and 07.

Edit:
Not sure if this helps but I'd also like to note that both the firewall and antivirus services are Running on start up. I am also able to find that the self protection module is up, but that might be irrelevant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:21:11 PM by Furchee »

NoelC

Re: Avast Has Encountered A Problem and needs to close.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
Heh heh heh...  "alas" / "avast" - I see what you did there.   :P

I don't know if it would help the Avast folks diagnose the problem, but on the possibility it could, maybe you could visit your Windows Application and System Event Logs and see if there's more specific information about the failure listed there.

-Noel

Furchee

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: AvastUI.exe, version: 9.0.2011.263, time stamp: 0x52af800a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000401b8
Faulting process id: 0x1c78
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf064e80aca9d6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: bf636544-7241-11e3-8e00-0013eff0c1bb

This seems to be it. Nothing that can really help me. I'll do some more research but I'm honestly clueless.

jwoods301

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: AvastUI.exe, version: 9.0.2011.263, time stamp: 0x52af800a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000401b8
Faulting process id: 0x1c78
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf064e80aca9d6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: bf636544-7241-11e3-8e00-0013eff0c1bb

This seems to be it. Nothing that can really help me. I'll do some more research but I'm honestly clueless.

To rule out an issue with NTDLL.DLL, run the Command Prompt as Administrator, type in SFC /SCANNOW at the prompt and hit Enter.

NoelC

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
Another possibility, since it's the AvastUI that's failing, is that your system's display driver might not properly be supporting the display calls Avast is making of it.  Check to see if an updated display driver is available from the web site of the company that makes your video card.

-Noel

Furchee

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
I've tried both of those and the error is still the same. No changes.
What oh what shall I do >.<

SFC reported no errors and that all files were valid.
My GCard Driver is the current and doesn't seem to have any faults.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:52:53 PM by Furchee »

jwoods301

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
As a test (not advocating making any setting permanent), in Avast settings...

Uncheck DeepScreen, reboot.
Uncheck Enable Rootkit Scan On System Startup, reboot.
Uncheck Load Avast Services Only After Loading Other System Services, reboot.

Furchee

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
As a test (not advocating making any setting permanent), in Avast settings...

Uncheck DeepScreen, reboot.
Uncheck Enable Rootkit Scan On System Startup, reboot.
Uncheck Load Avast Services Only After Loading Other System Services, reboot.

I'd love to try this, but my Avast doesn't show.
Services are running but the UI is nowhere to be seen nor is it in my task bar.

NoelC

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »
Search for it using your Start Menu / Start Screen search.

If you can't run it at all, your only recourse is to uninstall it, run the AvastClear tool, and reinstall afresh, as you have already done.  Something about your system is basically incompatible with Avast.

Do you have any kind of desktop re-theming or re-skinning software?

-Noel

Furchee

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
Search for it using your Start Menu / Start Screen search.

If you can't run it at all, your only recourse is to uninstall it, run the AvastClear tool, and reinstall afresh, as you have already done.  Something about your system is basically incompatible with Avast.

Do you have any kind of desktop re-theming or re-skinning software?

-Noel

I do this, but after clicking it I get the same error as the first post states. I've done everything you've said and I refuse to do it again.
(There's honestly no point, I haven't made any changes to my system that could change the outcome)

And no, I do not run any theme changing or skinning software :)

NoelC

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
Perhaps your system is allergic to the borderless Windows 8 Metro-like UI of Avast (little dig there).

I don't know what else to offer.  Lots of others folks' systems do run Avast successfully.  I sincerely hope you can get to the bottom of the problem or get something else to help protect you.

-Noel

jwoods301

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:11:17 PM »
Another possibility, since it's the AvastUI that's failing, is that your system's display driver might not properly be supporting the display calls Avast is making of it.  Check to see if an updated display driver is available from the web site of the company that makes your video card.

-Noel

Along this line, you may wish to try turning Hardware Acceleration off for your display.

Furchee

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
Perhaps your system is allergic to the borderless Windows 8 Metro-like UI of Avast (little dig there).

That would be odd. *I mean I play that game ! XD
Whats odd is that as mentioned in the first post, I did get it to start up once *and show on my screen* right after installing it. However once I reboot it goes back to missing again with the error.

Along this line, you may wish to try turning Hardware Acceleration off for your display.

Where would this setting be ? I've looked for it around in my device properties along with my display driver program.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:26:27 PM by Furchee »

jwoods301