Author Topic: Thats it I give up - Im done with Avast  (Read 15742 times)

lord ami

Re: Thats it I give up - Im done with Avast
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
I took the matters in my hand and actually did something about the problem - helped avast! to fix it for quite a high % of people.

I encourage those who still have the problem contact Lukor. He's really nice person and the process of helping is fairly very simple (with instructions). It's basically all about updating the driver, then restarting PC, starting one small program and going to internet. After encountering problems, send in the logs. That is, when new driver doesn't help.

Isn't it an awesome feeling after helping avast! to fix the problem for other users? I think so at least :)
Avast! is community driven in my opinion and we all can help them make avast! better! 8)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:40:15 PM by Lord Ami »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
Hi Turtledriver,

Loads of people are enthusiastic about what webshield protection provided. I see some complaints on the forums that it hinders certain users going to certain locations. Would unblocking those not be dangerous? Did you establish beyond a shred of a doubt that these websites were free of malcode,(spyware, clickfraud), not on an IP that launches additional malcode via other domains? Did you report in the virus and worms section to get an exclusion for a specific domain you cannot visit because of shield blocking from an avast staff member?
Why you want to throw the child our with the bathwater? Often found that an av solution that interferes too much with bad Internet (security )habits is being disqualified as "bad", "bloatware", "too strict too handle", some users here react like "spoilt teens" when told what is better for them no to,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Turtlediver

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
Lord Ami:  Good comments, and when I can, I'll get back to troubleshooting using one of my other computers; I just don't have time at the moment and can't afford to tie up my main machine.  But again, how do you measure the percentage of those being helped vs. those who don't have a clue what's wrong and don't post here?

Polonus:  Yes, without a doubt, it was the 2011 update from Avast – not the websites or malware. 

UPDATE:  Perhaps I misspoke when I mentioned Web Shield - it was the Antivirus program itself!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:53:19 PM by Turtlediver »

NoelC

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »
I think the intent behind telling people it CAN work might be to give them hope that there may be something specific that can be done to make it work for them.  And I do think virtually everyone would notice if their Internet access just stopped working.  'Course it might be a bit harder for them to come here to complain about it, at least right away...  :D

-Noel

Offline Turtlediver

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »
Just to clarify, I could still get on the Net with the 2011 version.  However, some pages loaded normally, others would load verrrrrry slowly, others wouldn't load at all, and a few "clean" sites were blocked altogether!  Most people I know wouldn't even suspect their antivirus program and getting onto this forum would never cross their minds.  They'd just think something was wrong with their computer or Internet connection!

UPDATE:  Now that I'm using a different AV program, I can't help noticing how many of the sites I frequent are loading at least twice as fast!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:22:32 PM by Turtlediver »

Offline rnuis

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
I also have given up on Avast 9.0.2011 till the high memory use is solved , i find the help you get on this Avast forum very bad at this moment and nobody from Avast does reply!!! Maybe i go back when they have solved eveything.
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

NoelC

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »
Are you sure there's a "high memory use" problem?

I've been, at the moment, running on my present bootup for 3-1/2 days, and I've looked occasionally at the memory usage by AvastSvc.  It's gone up and down, and at the moment is using 74 MB of RAM.  I don't consider that a problem.  Many programs use that much.  I have a pretty big system, and I realize that some may not have RAM to burn.

Are you saying that an antivirus program that uses this much RAM to do its normal work is using "too much"?  If so, how much would be acceptable to you?

-Noel

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
Right now Avast is using only 67 MB of Ram.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
I think that this topic is no longer serving its purpose or perhaps it has.

The OP has lit the blue touch paper and retired (single post and no response to anyone), clearly they aren't seeking help and hasn't been back on-line since his post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
Right now Avast is using only 67 MB of Ram.

I don't think the amount of RAM used is the issue. It's the jump from v9.0.2009 which averaged around 5-10mb RAM to around (in some systems) adove 150mb RAM idle.

It could be down to the Web Shield/File Shield new system aka no transparent proxy and the speed of the file shield but that should't affect the PC while idle.

It's been claimed by some users that during VPS updates, the RAM is getting lower... So it is possible, perhaps fixes are coming in via VPS (which is possible)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

NoelC

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
As a software engineer, I've certainly made choices in my own software to use more RAM to speed things up.  Certainly, the use of system resources by tools should always be done with a mind that the user actually wants/needs those resources for the things he wants to do, but (putting myself in the shoes of an Avast engineer) I wouldn't think twice about using 100 MB of RAM if it meant that it would bring a faster/smoother experience to the user - who has installed Avast on purpose.

Early on there were reports that there may be a memory "leak", but I didn't see it then and I don't see it now.  Maybe others are misinterpreting what they're seeing, or maybe they're actually seeing it go up and up because of a choice of different options than I'm using, I don't know.  But details matter, and there's a shortage of them with regard to this "problem".

-Noel

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
Only avast! can answer the "memory leak" question... they've received dozens of process dumps.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »
In the greater scheme of things (after all it is a security application) memory is there to be used, especially if on windows default settings performance is king, so memory will be used where possible/available to help with performance.

Looking at the task manager on my XP Pro system, avast doesn't use much on my system and compared to others is frugal. Just look at another security application example, MBAM, not only is the mbamservice.exe much higher than avastsvc.exe, it also has two other services mbamscheduler and mbamgiu which add another 12mb to the RAM use.

Not only that mbam is also a bit of a CPU hog at times, as seen in this screenshot and all I was doing was browsing/compiling this and capturing the screenshot.

There are many other application that aren't security related and these can be RAM hogs, well in excess of avasts resource use.

Some time ago the avastUI was using more memory than it is now on 9.0.2011, now I don't know if that is/was a memory leak, if so it would appear something has been done in regard of the avastui.exe memory use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rnuis

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
My memory use goes up too 200MB and when thee is a vsp update of Avast it is at 20MB but then it is growing again too 200MB , i have a topic about it but there is nobody from avast who helps , i also have send a ticket too them with a dumpfile of avast but also with that i don't get a anwser back   >:( :(
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

Randissimo

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
Not going to write something new again, simply quoting myself from another topic:

In my opinion, no AV should ever need to exclude whole folders or even have to be turned (temporarily) off. I don't know how tolerant others are, but if you're unsatisfied with a specific program don't hesitate and search for other options. There's no better way to tell the developers you don't agree with their direction of the program than to stop using it.
However, if the majority can deal with it and the forumers will stay as some kind of cult as "Evangelists" (yes, I'm aware it's just a title reaching for a lot of postings, but that doesn't make it look less stupid in my eyes) preaching how good Avast is or how well they're managing with it, then nothing will change.
It's up to the individual whether you want to give a clear sign to have the developers change their program to your liking or to adapt to every change they make and to deal with it, regardless of how bad you think it has become.