Author Topic: High Memory use Avast service 104 MB  (Read 14523 times)

NoelC

Re: High Memory use Avast service 104 MB
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
Folks, at this point we have no official indication that I know of that the RAM it's using is anything out of the ordinary.

Perhaps it's meant to use a lot of RAM in order to speed up its function.  I for one would definitely want faster AV operation vs. lower memory use.

-Noel

Offline rnuis

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
After the last Vps update my memory usage of Avast is lower , it is now about 30 to 40 mb at this moment.
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

Offline rnuis

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »
It is growing again , it is now at this moment at 100 MB and still growing , and also there is NO HELP from sombody of AVAST!!!
Avast internet security 2015 10.0.2208 , MBAM 2.03 ,Firefox 33.03
Windows 8.1 Pro 32Bit

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
After the last Vps update my memory usage of Avast is lower , it is now about 30 to 40 mb at this moment.

always after receiving a vps, the used memory is reduced.Then continues to grow until it receives a new vps 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

always after receiving a vps, the used memory is reduced.Then continues to grow until it receives a new vps

This would seem to indicate that the streaming updates are at least partially retained in memory.  Since the previous streaming updates are incorporated into the new vps (which is optimized), the memory is freed up.  That said, I'm not seeing the large increase in memory usage.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

thekochs

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
This would seem to indicate that the streaming updates are at least partially retained in memory.  Since the previous streaming updates are incorporated into the new vps (which is optimized), the memory is freed up.  That said, I'm not seeing the large increase in memory usage.

Perhaps someone whom has this high mem usage can you turn off streaming updates and see if there is an effect ?
They may have to wait until a new VPS to "clear reduce" then see.  However, if they turn of streaming they could manually try a update after few hours and get a new VPS.  If this truly is the issue it would seem the streamed updates would be applied then cleared in memory.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
In retrospect, the total of streaming updates in terms of kilobytes is quite small.  There has to be more than just the streaming updates causing the memory increase.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

jwoods301

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
Considering the change log entries, there are several suspects (posted on Filehorse.com)...

What's new in this version:

- Finally fully rewritten the WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore. I.e. no more routing of all HTTP traffic through the AvastSvc.exe process - which should hopefully result in no more conflicts with various firewalls (especially older firewalls that can't handle transparent proxies) and overall improvement in stability and performance. Besides that (and this is really exciting) it allows us to see and detect more threats (the original webshield had some limitations).

- The Firewall component (in IS and Premier) has also changed dramatically. Made it more compatible with other applications, such as Java and various VPN services.

- The installer/updater has been improved to allow more reliable installation in case of infected machines. The installer is now protected by the avast self-defense driver from the very beginning, making it harder for active malware to kill it (if you have problems starting the installer in the first place, it may be a good idea to try to rename the executable to a random name first)

- The changes in the File System Shield's driver should result in faster performance, especially in the copy files and install programs scenarios.

- We have also beefed up the Browser Cleanup tool to be able to rip off even the more stubborn toolbars and other "PUBEs" (Pontentially Unwanted Browser Extensions

- Also fixed a whole bunch of bugs reported in the last couple of months. Especially if you encountered a problem with R1, try this new version, chances are that the problem is resolved there.