Author Topic: How to allow/trust a file detected as virus  (Read 3669 times)

chuck4100

How to allow/trust a file detected as virus
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:50:33 AM »
As per the title, I am trying to find an easy solution. The #2 reason i swapped from Mcafee in 2011 was because they stopped allowing you to trust files on the same popup that blocks them and avast, at the time, had this feature.
Unfortunately avast, as they become bigger and less willing to deal with those who would allow actual viruses, has discontinued this convenience. The only solution I can figure is to put exclusions on my working paths, but that is seemingly a stupid idea to me and would rather not poke holes in security like that.
If anyone knows a way to enable the feature or a better method than placing download folder in exclusions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

NoelC

Re: How to allow/trust a file detected as virus
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
I feel as you do, but philosophically apparently the authors of this product no longer believe the user can make a proper decision on the spur of the moment.  They DO, however, allow you to exclude detection of a specific file after the fact by visiting the virus chest, and they DO allow you to exclude whole folder sub-trees on your disk.

In my mind it's like trying to make guns that can't shoot unintended targets.  It's impossible to achieve, and the process of trying just messes things up for folks who know what they're doing.

-Noel

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »
Have you tested the file at  www.virustotal.com   if tested before click new scan
Post link to scan result here

NoelC

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
Something occurred to me...

Avast has implemented some heuristics, such as the "Win32: Evo Gen [Susp]" detection of suspicious files where there's only a chance the file is malware.  And they also can detect things that are definite malware.

Perhaps at least when there's a "[Susp]" status involved the choice could be given to the user?

-Noel

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »
As per the title, I am trying to find an easy solution. The #2 reason i swapped from Mcafee in 2011 was because they stopped allowing you to trust files on the same popup that blocks them and avast, at the time, had this feature.
Unfortunately avast, as they become bigger and less willing to deal with those who would allow actual viruses, has discontinued this convenience. The only solution I can figure is to put exclusions on my working paths, but that is seemingly a stupid idea to me and would rather not poke holes in security like that.
If anyone knows a way to enable the feature or a better method than placing download folder in exclusions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Hello,
send the file to virus@avast.com and put "False positive" to email subject or use http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

Milos

chuck4100

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
thank you all for the input.
The file(s) in question are just in general. Alot of times it is things like trainers for games, some large .bat files i made for myself and such. They are files that I know for a fact to be clean, but still show as a virus.
Likewise, i would rather a false positive cue on part over sensitivity than not detecting viruses, but having the option to let avast know its ok rather than excluded everything from being scanned, would be nice.