Author Topic: My dell vostro 3450 won't start after an incomplete startup check...  (Read 3009 times)

morbirpr

Hello, I scheduled a start up check, but I forced it to shut down by pressing the power button. Now, when the laptop starts to boot on, the "Resuming Windows" message is seen, but then the screen turned black with the cursor blinking on the upper left, staying like that without any other response... What have I done? What happened here? What can I do now?  :-[

Thanks in advance!

Angel Soto
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:55:17 PM by morbirpr »

olddog

Re: My dell vostro 3450 won't start after an incomplete startup check...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:54:51 AM »
What have I done?

You answered you own question in your post
I forced it to shut down by pressing the power button.

From your "resuming Windows" statement I suspect your software shutdown is set to Hibernate, and you now have a corrupted hybernation file (hiberfil.sys). The message you see indicates it is not actually shutting down fully.

When it is displaying the "resuming Windows", press and hold down the power off button for at least 10 seconds. Then remove any mains power connection, and remove the battery.  Leave the battery out for 10 minutes, then put it back and press the start button. With luck it will go through a normat bios boot sequence. 

Try to get it to boot into safe mode. If you can, then I would try to delete the Hiberfil.sys file before doing a full shut down.

morbirpr

Re: My dell vostro 3450 won't start after an incomplete startup check...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:18:49 AM »
Thanks olddog, problem was solved before I saw your reply... As I had read somewhere here, I hit F8 while booting, and it allowed me to start window in safe mode. Thanks for your reply!