Author Topic: Slow cold boot if there is no internet  (Read 2616 times)

vsub

Slow cold boot if there is no internet
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
There is some weird problem.
When I start the laptop(it's using the wireless adapter for internet)if the wireless is not enabled,when the desktop appear and I start Process Hacker,I can see that the rest of the processes are started after around 20 second or more at once.

If the wireless is enabled,everything start immediately(no delay) and if avast is not installed,there is also no delay in both cases(have or don't have internet)

I think this also happens on my desktop pc but I'm not 100% sure(can't test right now)and I'm using cable there,not wireless(happens when the lan card is disabled or the cable unplugged or there is no internet)

The laptop and the pc are using the same WinXp and the same Avast Home version(latest)with the same settings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Slow cold boot if there is no internet
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
Are you referring to avast! free or with firewall?
Anyway, drivers and services should be loaded and a delay is always there (for your own protection at boot/logon :)).
Did you change any avast! settings (or other network/security program) with Process Hacker?
The best things in life are free.

vsub

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
Are you referring to avast! free or with firewall?
Avast Free without firewall...I don't use any other software for protection and I use the windows firewall(if you call that a firewall)
Anyway, drivers and services should be loaded and a delay is always there (for your own protection at boot/logon :)).
Did you change any avast! settings (or other network/security program) with Process Hacker?

No  I use Process Hacker only for info,I don't change anything with it.
If avast is installed and there is no internet,there will be delay before everything is loaded(around 20 or 30 seconds)and if it's installed and there is internet,everything will be loaded without delay

jwoods301

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
Are you saying you have a wired connection to the Internet when wireless is turned off?

If you have NO connection at all to the Internet when this happens, it's not a bug.

Avast will attempt to connect to the Internet on boot.

vsub

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
I know that avast is attempting to connect to the internet(obviously to download updates)but if there is no internet,some of the programs\services won't be loaded until he stop attempting to update(after around 20 or 30 seconds).
During that time if you try to open the windows explorer,you will only see a white window until he stop attempting to update

The Uploader

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
yes this's happening to me too i'm using IS, win 8.1 64bit and i had the same problem in 8 too and it's still there

Offline irongod

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
I noticed the same with AIS v9 ...

weird that some slow downs appears also with AIS v8 after in the last 2 months I installed v9 so many times, then cleaned and reinstalled it or v8 again and again...  :o
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!