Other > Viruses and worms
Thread for StubbornMom
<< < (6/9) > >>
davido12345:
I think you should wait, Alan said he would inform a removal expert who will walk you through what to do  :)
stubbornmom:
atieclxx.exe shows up when I look up services running.  I tried to delete it denied me access, tried to block and was back running.  Do you know what that is?
magna86:
Hi all,

--- Quote ---Would a DDS scan do any better than an OTL? I mean, if one can't get it to work.
--- End quote ---

Both OTL and DDS tools are diagnostic tools in nature. The difference is in the following.

DDS will show the basic things, when I say basic I mean those items that helper need to read. DDS is a non-invasive tool and it does not perform any changes to the system and its purely serves as a diagnostic tool. Many security forums use the DDS tool as a primary diagnostic tool as it allows the helper to quickly read logs and gives the freedom to decide which tool to use next.

OTL is a tool which has more to show in log as it such has a fix abilities. OTL unlike DDS has a very low whitelist and this why the log is a bit longer.
OTL displays detailed system info while DDS shows the basics that helper can read and decide which tool to perform as follows.

As for example, if user have ZeroAccess rootkit, DDS will show just one line and valid helper knows that that line represents the active rootkit in system.
OTL shall attempt to read all ZeroAccess loading point and entries because as such a tool has a fix and should be able to view the rootkit (if able to see).
But yet again, DDS owed ​​much to ComboFix.

So, both tools have their advantages and disadvantages, point of use is a matter of habit.

----------------------------------

@stubbornmom
If OTL doesn't work, run this tool:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool () by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

[*]Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
[*]The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.[/list]

stubbornmom:
this is 3rd try.  Keeps throwing me out of this forum saying it "web page is not available"
stubbornmom:
wont let me send other reports/logs, throws me out of this forum, saying it is unavailable.  Is there an email I can send to?
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version