Author Topic: problem upgrading virus definitions  (Read 5198 times)

trilliantestes

problem upgrading virus definitions
« on: October 10, 2003, 06:49:16 PM »
noticed my avast 4 home edition has not been upgrading the virus definitions itself for, oh 3 weeks or so now (it used to do it once or twice a week)...so i forced manual upgrading from lower right "a-ball" but i got a dialog box that says "the package is broken" along with an "OK" and "view log" buttons............what's going on????????? how do i get it to auto-upgrade the virus definitions again?

thanks for ur help!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:problem upgrading virus definitions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 06:50:46 PM »
Try invoking the program update (not iAVS)  couple of more times. It should work.

BTW what version of avast do you currently have?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

trilliantestes

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 07:10:47 PM »
i'm using version 4 home edition...the installation summary says 4.1.280 and according to www.avast.com on the left hand side there, so i think ur instruction worked!!! but i remember all the times before i invoked "iavs" and it worked for upgrading virus definitions? or is my memory wrong? so use program updates from now on???????? cuz i thought "iavs" is quicker

that's why it took me some times to reply to u (just had to make sure it actually upgraded)..............lastly, so now it should AUTOupdate virus definitions and i here that voice announcement as to such???? and not have to do a manual upgrade???

Thanks Vlk, have a nice and safe weekend alright!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 03:32:42 AM »
i think ur instruction worked!!!
but i remember all the times before i invoked "iavs" and it worked for upgrading virus definitions? or is my memory wrong?

Vlk instructions always work  ;D
Maybe you didn´t have the 4.1.280 version at first time and the recent versions (4.1.268 and 4.1.278) were buggy about updates...
Everything is ok now...  ;)
When you update the program you get the virus definitions updated too... At this time, try to use more the program update because they´re very frequently and avast! is becoming better and better...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 01:29:07 PM »
OK, to explain it a bit:

iAVS update = the virus database update
Program update = update of the whole program (including the virus database)

iAVS update normally never wants a restart of anything, and is much smaller (and takes place automatically). Program updates are larger, and usually require a reboot of the machine.

Versions prior to 4.1.280 (the latest) had some bugs in the iAVS updater. Uprading the program to 4.1.280 should resolve all the issues.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 09:59:21 PM »
OK, to explain it a bit:

iAVS update = the virus database update
Program update = update of the whole program (including the virus database)

iAVS update normally never wants a restart of anything, and is much smaller (and takes place automatically). Program updates are larger, and usually require a reboot of the machine.

Versions prior to 4.1.280 (the latest) had some bugs in the iAVS updater. Uprading the program to 4.1.280 should resolve all the issues.

Vlk

Better words to say the same as I did  ;D
Anyway, thanks Vlk  ;)
The best things in life are free.