Author Topic: Playing any type of media file...weird noises/stuttering!  (Read 18174 times)

whoisdoupe

Playing any type of media file...weird noises/stuttering!
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »
This is an ongoing problem with AVAST- doesn't matter which version I've updated to but has only happened since 2014. Haven't changed anything else on the system (WIN764) so I can pinpoint it to the antivirus.

Has anyone else come up with a solution? I know it happens when Avast is just running as normal- no directed scan is taking place.

It's driving me nuts, can't play any video/audio without stammering and blurring. Even happens with online streaming!!!

Is there any way something can be disabled within the program to stop this?

Can I contact AVAST via an email to report the problem/seek a solution? :-\

jwoods301

Re: Playing any type of media file...weird noises/stuttering!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »
In the Performance settings on your sound card, check if Hardware Acceleration and Sample Rate Conversion Quality (or something similar) is enabled.

propheticus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:58:17 AM »
And you are using Internet Security or Free or... ? My experience is that the firewall in AIS can cause this (due to high DPC latencies).

whoisdoupe

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
And you are using Internet Security or Free or... ? My experience is that the firewall in AIS can cause this (due to high DPC latencies).
I'm using the normal paid for Avast...is that the internet security version? I do believe there's a lot of truth in what you've said as the problem only really started with the use of AVAST. Other previous AV software have never caused this problem...and there's me thinking I was on to a good deal by buying the 2 year renewal package!

Any other hints/tips to try and I'll gladly give people's recommendations a go...

BritBloke

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
I'm having this issue too, since I upgraded from free to Premier.

Audio streams from the internet frequently stutter and contain other artifacts. Local files and ones from my NAS less so, but still drastically downgraded.

I'm an audio geek, so it's extremely irritating.

All the above is the same via onboard soundcard and USB Dragonfly. Sound used to be exceptional. Now it's unlistenable.

I'm not sure if this is applicable to video files since I hardly ever view them this way.

Things are worse when I open/refresh a web page or even hover over a button. Playing files direct is also disrupted when using file explorer.

So Win7/PC - Chrome/Firefox - Avast! Premier.

Please advise.

aeh

whoisdoupe

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »

Audio streams from the internet frequently stutter and contain other artifacts. Local files and ones from my NAS less so, but still drastically downgraded.

All the above is the same via onboard soundcard and USB Dragonfly. Sound used to be exceptional. Now it's unlistenable.

Please someone help us both!...must be plenty of folks having similar issues  :-\

I'm not sure if this is applicable to video files since I hardly ever view them this way.

Things are worse when I open/refresh a web page or even hover over a button. Playing files direct is also disrupted when using file explorer.

Please advise.

aeh

BritBloke

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »
I think this should read:

Please advise.

aeh
Please someone help us both!...must be plenty of folks having similar issues  :-\

ty

theghost

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
hi,
I also frequently have this issue with audio on my pc
I believe it is caused by the cpu or ram bugs  reported in avast

BritBloke

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Okay, so does that mean they're going to fix it?

Is there a setting I can adjust or turn off?

propheticus

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
See my post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141407.0 on how to remove the firewall. In my case this was the only sollution, disabling alone was not enough.

whoisdoupe

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »
See my post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141407.0 on how to remove the firewall. In my case this was the only sollution, disabling alone was not enough.

I'll certainly give this a try if the problem persists any further. Is there any disadvantage to using Windows firewall over AVAST? Wouldn't the AVAST one be more up-to-date- would presume as it's a paid for service... ???

propheticus

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
To be honest, there probably is little difference between the two in terms of effectiveness. The adding of (outbound) rules might be easier in 3rd party firewalls that have a more user friendly interface.

Offline vlad98

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »
I had a similar with assemblies in AIS 9.0.2008 and AIS 9.0.2011.263. After that I deleted 9.0 and returned to 8.0. Everything works fine again, including Music, Web Surfing, Firewall and so on. The truth had not put 8.0 from the official site, and search on the Internet, as updated from 8.0 to 9.0 and did backup. Now unsuccessfully asking employees to put avast officially distribution AIS 8.0.

BritBloke

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »
There seemed to be an update a day or so ago which seems - so far - to have addressed the issues I raised.

Let's hope!

:)

whoisdoupe

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
There seemed to be an update a day or so ago which seems - so far - to have addressed the issues I raised.

Let's hope!

:)

Yes, I'll agree too! I've actually manage to get through a Stone Roses live boot from 1985 and the Man City match without a single stutter...makes me sound like an obsessive Manc, honest I'm not  ;D