Author Topic: error F:/part-setup_ais-ffffffffff.vpx  (Read 6033 times)

scarab123321

error F:/part-setup_ais-ffffffffff.vpx
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
I keep trying to start a steam game and it says "error reading product data from F:/part-setup_ais-ffffffffff.vpx. Setup cannot continue. I assume thats because i never uninstalled avast from my hard drive after in installed an ssd, but the thing is, i mistakenly just deleted the avast folder instead of using the uninstall tool, so now i don't know where to direct the uninstall tool to get rid of everything, and now i cant play this specific steam game because of this error. How do i fix this?

jwoods301

Re: error F:/part-setup_ais-ffffffffff.vpx
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »
Actually, the uninstaller will detect the Avast bits.

Download it, follow the instructions, and then download and install a fresh copy of Avast.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

scarab123321

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:26:35 AM »
I already tried to uninstall from the C drive, then reinstalled it to the C drive, but every time i try and launch the game it gives me that error still coming from the F drive (my secondary hard drive)

jwoods301

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »
You're booting in Safe Mode to do the uninstalls with the Avast utility, is that correct?

scarab123321

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:16 AM »
Yes

jwoods301

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »
So it sounds like at some point, Avast got installed on your F: drive also.

As per the instructions on the Uninstall Utility web page...

"If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)"

scarab123321

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »
I had my F drive before i installed the ssd, and i had put avast on that, but then recently i got an ssd and just installed another copy of avast onto the new C drive, and never did anything with the old avast on the F drive. But i deleted the avast folder that was on the F drive program files folder, so now i dont know where to direct the deletion software since there is no avast folder on my F drive, but still the remnants of avast are lurking all over my F drive.

scarab123321

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:04:34 AM »
And i just went into my trashcan and restored the file i deleted into my F drive, and then ran the uninstallation software again, but as soon as i started the uninstall the exact same error came up. What do i do? what is part setup?

jwoods301

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:15:46 AM »
So here is a screen shot of the Uninstall Utility in Safe Mode, at the bottom of my post...

Clicking on the button with the 3 dots will put you in Browse...you can then select any file or folder on any hard drive.

You can do a search of the F: drive using the standard Windows Search function to find references to Avast, and use that as your guide on where to go on the F: drive to find the Avast leftovers.

My guess is that the .vpx file was an aborted update of some kind.

scarab123321

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:25:44 AM »
Ive done that about half a dozen times now, and i got the file on my F drive, but that error still keeps coming up

jwoods301

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
Ive done that about half a dozen times now, and i got the file on my F drive, but that error still keeps coming up

Have you tried just manually deleting that file?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
Could you post a screenshot of the folder + location?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

scarab123321

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 01:36:18 AM »
i dont know where that specific file is though, and i cant screen shot anything because i already used the uninstallation software on the F drive and the avast folder is gone, but the error still come up.

jwoods301

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »
i dont know where that specific file is though, and i cant screen shot anything because i already used the uninstallation software on the F drive and the avast folder is gone, but the error still come up.

Do a standard Windows Search on the F: drive and use "*.vpx" (no quotes) as the search argument...

scarab123321

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:45:58 AM »
ok i just did and there were no results, in fact i searched for "avast" in F and there were also no results... what is happening?