Author Topic: Cannot clear out Error and Notice logs  (Read 3276 times)

Baz

Cannot clear out Error and Notice logs
« on: June 26, 2005, 10:16:40 AM »
When I try to delete the listings in the Error and Notice logs, I get a message telling me that access to these files (error.log and notice.log) is denied. I have administrative privileges (I'm the only user), so can't figure out what the problem might be. (I am able to delete the Alert log.) Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Cannot clear out Error and Notice logs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 10:11:43 AM »
Are you deleting the logs from the Log Viewer interface?

Baz

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:42:25 PM »
Are you deleting the logs from the Log Viewer interface?

Hi, Igor. Yes, I'm using the Log Viewer and trying to clear out the entire Error and Notice logs. (I know you can't delete individual entries.) It's not a big deal, just some housecleaning to free up space. These notices have been building up forever and I figured I'd get rid of them. I don't mind that much that they are there -- I just can't figure out why I'm told that access to Notice.log and Error.log is denied when I'm the only user. I can access these files directly using Notepad, but, even then, cannot delete the entries in them.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 12:05:15 AM »
You can reduce the max size of the log.

The log files are just text files "D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log" see image if the worst came to the worse you could probably edit them and chop the oldest entries.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Baz

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:06:55 AM »
Thanks, David.