Author Topic: Yesterday's program update crashed my system...  (Read 7001 times)

cata_pkz

Yesterday's program update crashed my system...
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
For the past 2-3 days my Avast noticed me that it is a new program update.
Yesterday I clicked update and the system started to restart itself uncontrolable each time giving me the notification that recovered after a crash...
I uninstalled it from safe mode and restarted the xp and the problem ceased.
Then, downloaded the *.exe from the website and installed again thinking that something went wrong duing downloading the update. After installation the same restarting and crashing took place. In safe mode didn't show me that I installed Avast so I couldn't reinstall. I manually deleted the folder from program files. Problem partially solved because now I can't reinstall another version compatible with my system... it crashes and asks me to restart and try again :((
So now after many years of avast I'm on comodo :(((((( :((((( :(((((

peachy825

Re: Yesterday's program update crashed my system...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »
I had the same problem this morning.  It installed the new update and then said to reboot.  It kept rebooting after that.  I was finally booted into safe mode and uninstalled avast.  Now everything is working fine.  Looking for a new antivirus software now.  I am running Windows XP, SP3.  It's nice to know I was not the only one with this problem.

cata_pkz

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »
Me too, XP Sp3 also...

I installed earlier Comodo and now I'm testing Bitdefender's free 2014 edition...

davolente

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »
Ditto here. See my other posts. One Win 7 machine seems OK. XP Pro machines seem OK. One XP Home machine in an eternal re-booting/shutting down cycle. Another XP Home machine giving an "out of range" error on the monitors and a stop blue screen after I removed the graphics card to try to run on on-board graphics, thinking it was going bad. Took me for ever to realise that Avast was to blame on that one. Numerous similar reports from other folk. Not impressed, as this is not the first time an Avast program update has given me trouble.

mareli

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »
The same for me 2 days ago. I spent the day uninstalling and re-installing (after deep cleaning in safe mode) but no way. I just feel lucky because safe mode was working (I read someone had problem with this one, too brrrr). The sad truth is that Avast doesn't like XP anymore :(

I switched to Avira, let me know about Bitdefender's free 2014 test :)

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »
You could try a full uninstall then get an older version of Avast from somewhere like FileHippo.

I'm using a WinXP SP3 laptop with Avast 8.0.1497 and I've no other easy way of getting online. I'm so worried about it stuffing up my machine I'm simply not going to update Avast until/unless I get a guarantee it will work properly.

I've been a critical but generally enthusastic Avast user for three years but three times I've had serious problems after Avast program updates. They've caused me more trouble to sort out than the two serious virus/malware infections it didn't block that I've had to deal with in the same period. For me that's a deal breaker; when your AV is the cause of more trouble than the nasties it is supposed to be protecting you against then it has become the problem.

For me it's on it's last chance. If it happens again I'll be looking elsewhere and recommending to anyone who asks on any forum I'm on not to use Avast.   

jldjs

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »
Add me to this list too!  Same symptoms on my XP SP3 PC.  I was able to recover thru Safe Mode, and pick the System Restore point that Avast created prior to the Free Program update to 9.0.2011.  I called their Support line, got India, and that conversation was more than frustrating.  Requested to speak to support USA, and the guy gave me phone number for Xbox.  Guess he got the last laugh on me!!
I'm disappointed that an Avast forum monitor has not replied to this thread!  So I'm using pre-program update but newest virus protections.  Will monitor forum for any resolutions

DanO1

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
Same here. I just updated the software. On reboot it was fine until I closed the Avast popup (I clicked continue). Then I went to remove the avast shortcut on desktop to the recycle bin and the computer went back to reboot. I thought I'd had a power serge or similar. It rebooted to desktop ok but went back to reboot again before fully loaded. The next time it rebooted it went back to reboot even faster. I now thought it was fan failure (overheating) or a dodgy power cable. I checked both of these but everything was ok. I then thought it must be software related (avast). Pressed F8 at start up and did a system restore. This fixed the problem and avast is still on the computer. However, I don't like the idea that it might cause problems again and I am considering removing it completely. I am on XP Pro SP3.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 01:58:47 PM »
1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

Note : You need to be ONLINE during the install (sometimes online installer works whereas offline doesn't)

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_online.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

jldjs

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »
I see that this procedure has been suggested for a variety of problems, but do you know if this really fixes the problem of repeating reboots caused by the latest version of Avast program on XP?  I'll wait to someone else tries this and reports back that it works.  I can't afford to loose my PC now and feel lucky that I could recover thru Safe Mode to a previous Restore point unlike some others.  I'd feel better if Avast support would say they have found the problem or know what causes it and give us a solution they know works! 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
Each system is different.
There is only one way to find out if it works for you...
Try it.

cata_pkz

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:08 AM »
I switched to Avira, let me know about Bitdefender's free 2014 test :)
Bitdefender is great: basic, lethal and light on ram.
If you want something more advanced try Comodo.
After trying Bitdefender, Comodo, AVG, Avira, Microsoft Essentials, Dr. Web, Clamwin with the sentinel, Adaware and a few others I stayed with Comodo which has  very, very good results in independent tests and comes with virtual browsing which for me is great.
I don't want to swich to win 7 cause I'll have to replace a few very expensive programs that do not work with 7 so  this is bye bye Avast for me.(I still use it on my phones and tablet)

davolente

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Further to my previous post, I thought I'd try Avast again (in view of the updated program) on one of my XP machines that went into a re-boot/shutdown cycle after updating previously. I completely uninstalled when that happened in safe mode and have been running with no AV program at all for a while since then. Installed the 2014 version but still no luck at all. Didn't even get as far as the desktop before it went into a BSOD with a paging error, so that just about finishes me with Avast, I'm afraid. I'll keep it running on my Win 7 machine, as that seems to be the only one that it runs on successfully but it looks like the XP machines are going to have something else installed, AV-wise, but I'm not quite certain what at the moment.