Author Topic: Avast, good but ...  (Read 2778 times)

hake

Avast, good but ...
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
There are two aspects of Avast which reduce its perceived quality.

To the cynic, emergency updates could seem designed to undermine other security software by causing those with HIPS to cry "Wolf" 6 to 8 times per emergency update.  This due to the GUID random names.  If the emergency update files are digitally signed, isn't this unnecessary?  The major update installation files are predictably named which contradicts the argument for randomly naming emergency update files.

The Avast 9 GUI is a retrograde step from that of version 8 where the GUI made it straightforward to scan and check the information which is kept tidily in very few views which are easily drilled down through.  Version 9's GUI puts stuff all over the place so scanning to check that all is set up to the user's liking is made so much more difficult than need be.  You have to jump all over the place.  Apart from that, it's downright drab and unattractive to behold.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's a shame that these irritating details spoil what is very effective system protection with outstanding features like the web and mail shields and the system startup anti-rootkit protections.  I can put up with the depressingly grey GUI but the emergency updates are a disruptive distraction.

:(

hake

Re: Avast, good but ...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
The highly respected British 'PC Pro' magazine', issue 233, contains a glowing review of Avast 2014 Free on page 128.  This is part of a group AV products test.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Each to their own I guess, but, I prefer the latest GUI, I think it is a big improvement.

It is split into first page for everyday actions, and second page for deeper settings and actions.

The first page has 4 shortcut tiles which can be set up to your needs, just right click a shortcut and change the link from the menu.

I install avast many, many times a week, and all the comments from users have been positive about the new GUI.

As to the Emergency Updater ........ I am using Private Firewall which has HIPS , and I have not yet seen a single problem with this Updater .

Offline skinnypops

• backup, backup, backup
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
hi,

i personally find gui entirely logical and intuitive, hence easy to navigate.
using comodo firewall 6.3 and absolutely no issue with emergency updates.
by the way, who cares about appearance of gui, as long as it works well, certainly not me.
a good day to all.

skinnypops
new HP , amd a10-8700p quad core @ 1.8 gig radeon r6 graphics ,dedicated radeon r8 2gb graphics card, 8 gig ddr3-1600 memory, 1 tb hdd, win 10x64 home 1607 build 14393.1066, avast free 17.3.2291,  windows firewall, mbae free, mbam free, open dns, cryptoprevent, mcshield, paragon bu & recovery 2015,system explorer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:26 PM »
There are two aspects of Avast which reduce its perceived quality.

To the cynic, emergency updates could seem designed to undermine other security software by causing those with HIPS to cry "Wolf" 6 to 8 times per emergency update.  This due to the GUID random names.  If the emergency update files are digitally signed, isn't this unnecessary?  The major update installation files are predictably named which contradicts the argument for randomly naming emergency update files.
<snip>

I have Outpost Firewall Pro on relatively high sensitivity - Advanced for the Anti-Leak (essentially HIPS) settings and it hasn't given me much hassle at all.

The one area that did nag was in WinPatrol Plus, but that was down to the settings rather than the random/unique file name of the emergency updater. If you have the setting in WP Plus it will report the removal or creation of a startup item. Previously when the emergency update check (AvastEmUpdate.exe) found an update it would create a RunOnce registry entry for unique emergency update file name to run on the next boot.

For whatever reason my update to 9.0.2013 from the beta build 9.0.2012 didn't result in any interaction with WinPatrol Plus. So we will have to see over time is this does happen, but emergency updates shouldn't be that frequent so as to trigger either WinPatrol or your firewall.

You don't mention either your firewall or its settings. There are some with paranoid firewall settings controlling not just application level control but ports used also. So the more paranoid/sensitive you make the firewall rules the more you are going to get firewall intervention.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security