Author Topic: secureline does not mask country of origin/ current location?  (Read 6204 times)

Offline arjay

secureline does not mask country of origin/ current location?
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
Hi

Currently trialling secureline.  It definitely works ok in that it is changing the ip address to the server in the country i want. However, websites with restricted material still know exactly where I am and won't provide what I want to watch. 

Can anyone suggest why and what to do?

Thanks for any help

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:12:33 PM by arjay »

nanez

Re: secureline does not mask country of origin/ current location?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
So, no one is going to reply with info on this?
Where are you Avast! Team

Offline arjay

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »
So, no one is going to reply with info on this?
Where are you Avast! Team
Know how you feel.  I completely gave up on this product.  Shame because I have supported Avast with their AV offering since the very beginning.  Lost count of how many clients I have put their way for AV as well.  I reckon since they went grubbing after the money, they took their eye off the ball.   Probably over-extended and too quick to bring unready products to the market.

Any ideas of a better product I could try?

Richard

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
still no answer?

Ау ребята, дайте ответ, мне нужно точно знать что эта фича не дает на другом конце определить из какой я страны, ну или подсунуть нужную.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
Hi, what pages specifically are we talking about  ? Isn't it possible that they are using Geo-location API from the browser (provided e.g. by your active GPS module or WIFI triangulation as Google Maps do it)

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
Hi, Currently trialling secureline.  It definitely works ok in that it is changing the ip address to the server in the country i want. However, websites with restricted material still know exactly where I am and won't provide what I want to watch. 
Can anyone suggest why and what to do? Thanks for any help

Indeed, in my first testing SecureLine does NOT mask country of origin! Check it out, set your VPN server to a different country, send yourself a message and then check the message source... near the top you will typically see two instances of "Received From".... Copy/paste those IP addresses into http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup and you will see that both are still in your own country.

On the other hand, while testing from the US with the VPN set to France... When attempting to connect to my Gmail account it rejected my correct password... And a bit later I got a GMail email report about "suspicious activity" from someone in France... In other words, hopefully to the servers the VPN really makes it appear as if it came from another country/location, even though a manual query of an email message source indeed reveals the country of origin...

Can anyone please shed light on this? - Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
It is not so hard to understand.
You are still using the same mail server and that doesn't change, no matter how you connect to it.
And the mail server has info about you stored.

It is really simple, as they say "You can run but not hide"

Can you prevent a burglar from getting into your house?
No, you can't.
Only thing you can do is making it him as hard as possible to get in.