Author Topic: Recent update will not complete  (Read 3055 times)

Bob Hawkins

Recent update will not complete
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
I was prompted by Avast! to update to version 131229-0 on 30th December.  The update did not appear to complete – it hung at the final 'Launching executable file: AvastEmUpdater.exe/updater' stage.  However, Avast! states everything is in order.  Nevertheless, my Action Center informs me I should update spyware and virus protection and the progress bar remains in its hung position when I view Avast!/Settings/Update.  What should I do?

Offline drake127

• Avast team
Re: Recent update will not complete
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
Can you update VPS manually (by button from avast! UI) or it still hangs?

Bob Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
drake127
I thank you for your reply.  I am not sure if this is what you mean: I checked the 'Manual update' radio button and clicked 'Update' in the Settings window but nothing changes.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
  The update did not appear to complete – it hung at the final 'Launching executable file: AvastEmUpdater.exe/updater' stage. 

This was a problem for many of us and was caused by a domian included in MVPS Hosts files , that stopped the EMUpdater running.

The problem has since been fixed.

Try repairing the avast install. 

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Avast > select the Repair option.

Bob Hawkins

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
AdrianH
I thank you for your information and suggestion.  I have tried Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features then avast! Free Anti-virus.  I am unable to obtain a 'repair' option.  Both double left-clicking and right-clicking avast! Free Antivirus open the same window that states, "Setup is already running.  Please try to start the Setup later."  Is there another route into a 'repair' option?