Author Topic: My mom started deleting things and downloading things and NOW?!?  (Read 9711 times)

abmetzy1

Re: My mom started deleting things and downloading things and NOW?!?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
Okay, you all asked my Dad to run one final scan and he did. I am attaching that right now.

Then if you could answer the following questions that would be awesome!

1. If everything likes great could you let me know instead of just not answering the post. An ALL Clear would work.

2. Now if he needs to do anything else just let me know and how to proceed. I have given him directions on how to get on the forum for any issues of his next time, so there won't be a back and forth. If you could give specifics that would help so much.

3. Also, are there any programs he should keep on his computer that were added at this time to do all the cleaning or can he delete everything including the notepad results? If you could give specifics that would help so much.

4. Are there any programs he should leave on his desktop? ie AdwCleaner? etc? If you could give specifics that would help so much.

My Dad has been EXTREMELY pleased with you all...and shocked at what is computer is doing and how much better. He has taken it in a few times and it is running better than it has in the last 14 years! Thanks!
Amy

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
1. If everything likes great could you let me know instead of just not answering the post. An ALL Clear would work.

2. Now if he needs to do anything else just let me know and how to proceed. I have given him directions on how to get on the forum for any issues of his next time, so there won't be a back and forth. If you could give specifics that would help so much.

3. Also, are there any programs he should keep on his computer that were added at this time to do all the cleaning or can he delete everything including the notepad results? If you could give specifics that would help so much.

4. Are there any programs he should leave on his desktop? ie AdwCleaner? etc? If you could give specifics that would help so much.
Never leave anyone hanging :)  Especially as I need to tidy up my tools and give some safety advice

A few minor elements remain, Chrome home page and search need to be reset to something different as conduit is still there
So to that end run AdwCleaner one more time,  first checking for any updates

Once that has been completed could you let me know what problems remain before I tidy up.  You will also need to defragment the drive once I have tidied up as it will probably be a bit of a mess :)

abmetzy1

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
Hi there essexboy...
I just re-read my post, I am sorry that I was so rude, I didn't realize I wrote it in that way. So I apologize for my rudeness, I know I should not take it out on other people when I am having a rough day. You have been so helpful and awesome to work with. My Dad is so impressed and thrilled at what you have been able to help with.

I do have a question about the Chrome home page. What do you mean about a search need to be reset to something different as a conduit is still there? This may be a dumb question, but what is a conduit? I know what it is, but in this context I am a bit confused. And then how do you check for updates with the AdwCleaner?

[/quote]
A few minor elements remain, Chrome home page and search need to be reset to something different as conduit is still there
So to that end run AdwCleaner one more time,  first checking for any updates

Once that has been completed could you let me know what problems remain before I tidy up.  You will also need to defragment the drive once I have tidied up as it will probably be a bit of a mess :)
[/quote]

Thanks a bunch...I will have him take care of this in the morning.

abmetzy1

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
Hello again,
I don't know if you can help me with this question or not. I had put up another post a couple of weeks ago and someone was working with me, but now they are not responding and I do not know what to do? I have had no response since Jan 19, and the problems with my computer just keep getting worse. I have, I think 3 posts since that date, but no response...What should I do? Is there someone to let know or should I just give up?

Also I was trying to find out how do you find your thread if you did not go through the link on your email. I was reading the help, but it does not help and the only way I might get there is if I have an unread post or new reply at the top. Is there another way to find my thread?

Well, if you can help with these questions that would be great! If not that is ok, I will keep trying.

Oh, my other thread info if you need it for any reason is... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144568.new;topicseen#new
Thanks!!  :) :) :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
I don't know if you can help me with this question or not. I had put up another post a couple of weeks ago and someone was working with me, but now they are not responding and I do not know what to do? I have had no response since Jan 19, and the problems with my computer just keep getting worse. I have, I think 3 posts since that date, but no response...What should I do? Is there someone to let know or should I just give up?
Argus has been notified, unfortunately this sometimes happens when a notification is missed for whatever reason.. 

I just re-read my post, I am sorry that I was so rude, I didn't realize I wrote it in that way
I did not take that as rude as I know how worrying it can be when things are not going right :)

How to reset Chrome details are here https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en-GB some fairly easy steps to follow. Conduit is an adware search engine and will not give you unbiased results

Let me know when you are ready for a tidy up and I will remove all my bits and bobs, after which a disk defragment will work wonders

abmetzy1

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »
Okay, just in the process of taking care of this for my dad. They are still having problems facebook and I am wondering are we making chrome his browser? If so, does he still handle the facebook issue the same as it says to do with IE? I will have him him run AdwCleaner after he disables Avast sercurity in IE, but I was just curious. Thanks!

Got most of it first time round, a few more to kill though.  Definitely need to run AdwCleaner though as it will get the bits I cannot see

For facebook, go to manage addons in IE and disable Avast online security

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
OK as to browser, if he does not use or like chrome then just uninstall it :)  My personal opinion is that is an open door for malformed addons

For IE I have found that disabling the Avast Online Security add on stops all those type of problems ( it does not reduce your protection by disabling it)

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]

:Commands
[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave:

abmetzy1

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
So, do you like chrome or not, I was confused? I have always heard it was the better browser. Which would be the best one to keep. Now I am asking for the both of us?

Thanks...I will keep you posted in about 24 hours and let you know how it goes, but if you are on sooner and can let me know what is the better browser I am all ears!
Thanks!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »
This is purely my personal opinion and I guess a lot will disagree with me :

Chrome does not function properly unless you add some extensions
Chrome extensions are being targeted by advertisers http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2323930/google-cans-chrome-extensions-that-contained-malware
Whereas IE works straight out of the box and can be locked down even tighter.  It has a popup blocker built in as well