Author Topic: Aurora Trojan / Virus  (Read 24868 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Aurora Trojan / Virus
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 11:26:37 PM »
Hi sorebie,

I think the only people who would object would be DirectRevenue and their lawyers, but what exactly is Alwil's policy in regard to spyware? Are they ready for some lawsuits like symantec had to fight when they started to remove spyware? Have they sat down with their lawyers and writen up a protocol for when to add spyware components?

I think this would be in the area of definitions. The only thing unwise to do is qualify this nail.exe as spyware, pest, parasite, malware, they could oppose the terminology, because they consider their program as legit, because they say they offered an opt-out or de-installer.  To call it a Trojan is a technically justified definition and they cannot oppose the working of the executable as such, because it is not working like notepad executable e.g. The halting of tackling the precious spyware, because there are real big players involved and gigantic investments, is a legal tit-tat over the definition of what spyware actually is. So you can drag on and on, and prevent real action from being taken. I am also a member of the Dutch anti spyware offensief, a forum of people that think spyware makers are an anti-social element of the internet community, there these themes are often discussed.

greets,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!