Author Topic: Avast Web Shield slowing down/blocking Dropbox uploads  (Read 65020 times)

OliPicard

Re: Avast Web Shield slowing down/blocking Dropbox uploads
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »
Hi Guys, I have had issues uploading files to dmcloud and sproutvideo. when uploading files I have found the upload speeds have become unrealistic and have caused my computer to think it is running on a ultra fast connection. The fact remains this isn't true and I discovered the Web Shield was causing the problems. I installed the latest beta 2012 however this has not fixed the shield in fact its caused the avast UI to crash even more.

I just wanted to let you know your not alone with this problem. Hopefully Avast will fix this as soon as possible.

Drake

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 05:19:19 AM »
After a full day running the 2014.9.0.2012 beta, doing a few software installs/updates and some driver updates, lots of resets, visiting extra websites to get updates (in addition to my usual batch I was visiting to test before), everything seems 100%.

Parabell

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:31 PM »
sadly not here :-(

I noticed, that trying to use webupload to different sites show the same
problems as Dropbox uploads - first incredible speed, but no uploading
after all.

I tried repairing, the fix, the beta, but only deactivating web shield helps -
but also that makes in 70% a freeze of Avast.

I am quite busy with rebooting my computer all the time, till I finally get
the f****** webshield down.

salvego

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »
I'm getting the exact same problem here.

I had to uninstall Avast to make my dropbox work again.

OliPicard

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »
Hi Guys, I am compiling logs to send off to Avast. I have created a forum topic in the Beta Forum with the hopes of getting this fixed for everyone.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
Hello Guys,
it seems this is really caused by the nature of the WebShield implementation. The super-fast upload phase is caused by the fact, the until avast buffers are filled, the data is consumed by WebShield, scanned and then passed onto the network. There the speed should be appropriate to your network speed, however since the application (dropbox) has already sent quite a lot of bytes, it would seem as stalled for a while. In total, the speed shouldn't be affected, the total time should be the same, however you could see these super-fast bursts. We haven't experienced any complete stalls or aborted uploads though. We will look into this and post you soon.

Sorry guys,
Lukas.

Hemispasm

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 01:26:35 AM »
Just posting to confirm the same problem with Dropbox (version 2.4.11) and the latest version of AVAST. Disabling the Web Shield fixes the problem. Also I tried to test Lukor's statement that in the long run there should be no difference in the total time of uploading, I tried with a 50 mb file, it never got uploaded with the Shield on, so the problem is there for good.

Hopefully you guys at Avast will fix this, you have a great product so the skills are there :-)

OliPicard

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »
Just posting to confirm the same problem with Dropbox (version 2.4.11) and the latest version of AVAST. Disabling the Web Shield fixes the problem. Also I tried to test Lukor's statement that in the long run there should be no difference in the total time of uploading, I tried with a 50 mb file, it never got uploaded with the Shield on, so the problem is there for good.

Hopefully you guys at Avast will fix this, you have a great product so the skills are there :-)

Can also confirm that the INI editing isnt helping the problem. the only way to fix the issue is to disable web shield.

Zai

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »
I also confirm what Hemispasm said: The upload time with Web Shield on is NOT the same as with Web Shield off: It either doesn't get uploaded at all or after a MUCH longer time as with Web Shield off. It's not just a problem of Dropbox reporting wrong upload times because of a packet buffer, Web Shield actually appears to block the uploading in some way. :( I'm really kind of disappointed here, avast! 2014 seems so buggy compared to the previous version :(

OliPicard

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 09:59:49 PM »
I also confirm what Hemispasm said: The upload time with Web Shield on is NOT the same as with Web Shield off: It either doesn't get uploaded at all or after a MUCH longer time as with Web Shield off. It's not just a problem of Dropbox reporting wrong upload times because of a packet buffer, Web Shield actually appears to block the uploading in some way. :( I'm really kind of disappointed here, avast! 2014 seems so buggy compared to the previous version :(

I agree there needs to be more work done with the new web shield. New features have to be deployed but it would be good if they where tested on different network environments before pushing out new updates. I am currently waiting for AVAST to fix this. Its reducing my productivity and Ive been unable to upload content. Hopefully we can get this fixed soon.

Drake

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:10 PM »
Curious, did you guys try the beta (version 2014.9.0.2012) and still encounter the problem with Dropbox?

If not, maybe try it; during my tests I never got a good "fix" (including the modified aswStreamFilter file) until I updated to that new beta.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144768.msg1049924

Hemispasm

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
Drake unfortunately the problem is still there even after updating to the latest beta version.

OliPicard

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »
Curious, did you guys try the beta (version 2014.9.0.2012) and still encounter the problem with Dropbox?

If not, maybe try it; during my tests I never got a good "fix" (including the modified aswStreamFilter file) until I updated to that new beta.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144768.msg1049924

Still having problems with uploading even switched to proxy mode to no avail. Clean install of beta didn't fix the issue it's down to a hardware buffering issue with the windows API and the implementation of it. Avast's shields assume you have a fast enough connection to buffer all the web requests when uploading files.  Would be good to get an update on what's happening at Avast.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:41:10 PM by OliPicard »

OliPicard

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
Glad to say that Avast has a patch which should fix this issue with uploads. It should be inbound to both the beta and normal avast client in a week.

Hemispasm

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
That is good to know! Any chance we can download/apply just this patch sooner?