Author Topic: Avast Web Shield slowing down/blocking Dropbox uploads  (Read 65021 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Web Shield slowing down/blocking Dropbox uploads
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »
That is good to know! Any chance we can download/apply just this patch sooner?

[size=0pt]Version update with this fix has just been released. [/size]
[size=0pt]Lukas. [/size]

Hemispasm

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
Hi Lukor and thank you for the newsflash  :)

However, I am currently running the latest beta version and when I tried to update it shows I have the latest version. Should I perform a clean full installation of the latest version available for download at the Avast website (which version would that be btw?) or is this fix available only as a partial update?

iroc9555

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:00 AM »
Since you are running BETA, it would be better to do a clean install. Run the avastclear beta program first.
avast! cleaner: http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avastclear.exe

Then install the new avast! 9.0.2013
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145192.msg1053273#msg1053273

Note. Download the new program first to have it at hand then remove the BETA version. Install the new version.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:56:40 AM by iroc9555 »

Hemispasm

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 01:10:49 AM »
Since you are running BETA, it would be better to do a clean install. Run the avastclear beta program first.
avast! cleaner: http://files.avast.com/beta9x/avastclear.exe

Then install the new avast! 9.0.2013
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145192.msg1053273#msg1053273

Note. Download the new program first to have it at hand then remove the BETA version. Install the new version.
Just did a clean install of the new avast and I can confirm that the dropbox issue is now gone.

Thank you all at Avast for jumping quickly onto this issue - comes to prove you're doing a great job! And thanks to all the people that invested the time and effort to report and help others in this thread, much appreciated.  :)

Zai

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
I got the fix with the latest update - Dropbox uploads are working again for me! Thanks everyone who helped here and behind the scenes!

can00k

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:01 AM »
I downloaded the newest Avast update this weekend (2014.9.0.2016) and this appears to be a problem again.  I had a file try to sync last night before going to bed, and realized this afternoon that it was still going and my connection was super slow.  Looks like this bug is back again.

LurkerBoy

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
I suspect that the problem is returned again!

I have Win7 64bit + Dropbox 2.6.26 + Avast 2014.9.0.2016 [all full updated!] and a lot of synchronized file (more than 10GB).

The problem is that Dropbox is hanged with less of 20 files to be synchronized (less than 200MB) but in more than 10 days it was not able to complete the process!

And the ADSL Bandwith is more or less fully wasted!

The problem started with the previous release of Avast and the update had no effect. Also the temporay deactivation of Avast seems to be useless.

I have performed all the suggestion from the Dropbox help, but no effect!!!!!!

Any suggestion?

Thank you all in advance!

can00k

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Adding *dropbox.com to the exclusion list doesn't help, nor does actually closing Dropbox or temporarily disabling the web shield.  It seems that once you try to synchronize a file, the process can't be stopped without a restart of the computer.  My bandwidth usage was CRAZY yesterday.  What can it possibly be uploading when Dropbox is closed?  I notice my Avast icon in the system tray going nuts but I don't understand what data is even being transferred, or why it would be.

I'm running Dropbox v2.4.11

can00k

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »
I was advised by Avast support to try a repair of Avast and if that doesn't work, a full uninstall/reinstall.  I don't expect either of these things to work, but I'll try it later this week or this weekend and update this thread.

LurkerBoy

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
I was advised by Avast support to try a repair of Avast and if that doesn't work, a full uninstall/reinstall.  I don't expect either of these things to work, but I'll try it later this week or this weekend and update this thread.

I am disappointed to tell you that I have already performed all the steps suggested to you by Avast Support but, as you already imagine, without success!
Today there is a new Dropbox version (2.6.27).
This evening I will try it.
And I will upgrade this item.

Have you find other forum with this topic?

can00k

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »

I am disappointed to tell you that I have already performed all the steps suggested to you by Avast Support but, as you already imagine, without success!
Today there is a new Dropbox version (2.6.27).
This evening I will try it.
And I will upgrade this item.

Have you find other forum with this topic?

I don't see another forum topic about this.

I updated Dropbox today (to v2.6.27) and repaired Avast and this continues to be a problem.   I can't continue to use Avast if I have to restart my computer every time Dropbox needs to sync.

can00k

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
I've now limited my Dropbox upload to 10KB/s and it seems to have made the problem bearable.   But now my Dropbox uploads are stretched over a much longer period of time.

Offline Thumbsy

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »
I too am suffering from the return of this issue since the update to 2014.9.0.2016.

Both uploading and downloading through Dropbox is being affected significantly.
The issue is not limited to dropbox only though. I also find myself having uploading issues with some filehosters and other applications/websites that involve uploading files.

Very frustrating  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
I confirm the same identical issue with the following setup:

Avast! 2014.9.0.2016
Dropbox 2.6.2 AND also 2.6.27
Windows7 64Bit home Editiom

I hope in a very quick fix from Avast!. This fault is really major, not only impacting the use of Dropbox but also of the local connectivity and I believe it affects a huge percentage of Avast! users (anyome using Dropbox I suppose).

can00k

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 04:39:48 AM »
Had time the other day to do a full uninstall/reinstall of Avast and things are better now.  However, I have left the Dropbox upload throttle at 10kb/sec, so I don't know if the Avast reinstall really did anything or not.